t w o

my eyes fluttered open and quickly adjusted to the bright lights. i immediately felt abnormal, i wasn't very familiar with wherever i was.

i quickly whipped my head around and realized i was lying in a hospital bed.

i gasped and fished for my phone in my coat which i found folded up on a small bedside table.

the screen lit up and the time read 8.57pm and just below it i saw 21 missed phone calls from my mom and 14 missed calls from nat.

shit.

i was supposed to be at natalia's at 7.45 and i guess she had called my mom worried.

i couldn't remember how i got to the hospital but i just knew i needed to leave, fast.

as i was sliding my feet into my af1s, i heard footsteps approaching my booth and drag open the curtain.

when i turned around i immediately recognised his face. it was the demonstrator guy that had caught me earlier.

i needed to leave.

he seemed quite shocked to see me awake.

'oh, um, hi, i didn't expect you to be up already. i got you this.'

he stretched his arm out in my direction and offered me a bottle of water.

it made me realize how thirsty i was so i took it and took a few sips.

'thanks' i smiled, not wanting to be rude. 'i think i'm gonna leav-' i started saying before he interrupted.

'i'm mattia' he said.

i sighed, 'nice to meet you mattia'
i definitely wasn't going to give my name to some shady protester.

i was rushing to leave when he blocked me.

'are you sure you don't need to see the doctor one more time.'

'yeah i'm sure.'

a shadow of frustration began to engulf his face and from the angle i stood in, he towered over me but somehow his features began becoming more and more enticing.

his eyes were a beautiful shade of honey brown, his hair looked like silk and his soft lips were drawing me in...

what the fuck y/n.

i broke the tension in our eye contact and carefully pushed him aside.

i sped towards the entrance and finally managed to escape into fresh air, not realizing that mattia was following me.

i darted into the nearest alleyway when i felt a strong hand wrap around my wrist and grab it.

i tried to scream but mattia pressed his hand against my mouth and pushed me against the brick wall.

i began struggling to breathe when he pulled his face in close against my ear and whispered.

'you forgot your purse.'

he let go of me and my cheeks flushed in embarrassment whilst he laughed.

i snatched my purse from him and smiled awkwardly.

'why didn't you tell me your name.'

i stared up at him, my mind scrambling for an excuse.

i couldn't come up with anything so i just decided to be honest.

'i'm really sorry if i gave you the wrong impression by being at the riot, but i was just passing through and i don't really want to be involved in anyone or anything that's.. associated.'

'there it is' he said.

i furrowed my brows, 'what?'

'the twist' he smirked 'i knew you were too good to be true'

i shrugged, trying to conceal my smile.

'just tell me your name' he pleaded 'i kind of saved your life back there so i think you at least owe me this' he grinned.

it was true, so i granted him the decency, 'i'm y/n'

mattia looked smug. 'well, y/n, i want to know what makes you so against the protesting and so pro-neutral.'

i felt a pang in my heart.

'i... its just wrong, ive been taught about how dangerous love is since the day i was born.'

mattia sighed, stuffing his hands in the pocket of his grey champion hoodie and looking like he was deep in thought.

he finally broke out of it after around 15 seconds and reconnected his eyes with mine.

'look, y/n, give me one night and i can show you nearly a million people and places that can prove you wrong. one night can undo all of that brainwashing. would you be so kind as to donate me your time, for a good cause, of course. just one night.'