chapter 1: to the exams

y/n's POV:

it was a warm, sunny afternoon. the afternoon that gon and i were to leave for the hunter exams. we couldnt have been more excited. we got on the boat and waved goodbye to all of our friends and aunt mito. gon being a little over-enthusiastic about it, attracted some amount of attention.

"aw, look. It's just a little boy and a little girl/boy going to take the hunter exam."

"they'll die before they get to the first phase."

"im better 1000 jenny that the little girl/boy will die on the boat ride."

i got kind of pissed because they were just.. assuming my gender? i know it wasnt their fault and they were only trying to make fun of us for being children, but they were still misgendering me. very annoying. i glared at them, and they backed off somewhat.

i made my way below deck with some other people. i was getting kind of bored. fortunately, i brought a book to read "toilet-bound hanako-kun" . . . it was the first volume of the manga and it caught my eye •///•

~~••~~

i lost track of time. it was night time already, and there was a storm. i noticed that below deck with me, there was gon, many passed out men and two other boys that looked just fine. one with blonde hair and grey eyes was reading a book like me.

the other one was eating an apple. however, it looked like he was about to spit it out because of how sour it is. he had black hair and brown eyes, and looked old. gon was helping the sick passengers. they really want to take the deadly hunter exam if they can't stay on a boat without getting sea sick?

idiots.

the captain of the ship came down and asked the four of us to come to his office. he then asked us what our names were, and why were taking the hunter exam. I answered first.

"my name is y/n l/n, im 12 years old, and i want to become a hunter because i want to become stronger and become more independant."

gon started talking next. "hi! my name is gon freecs. im 12 years old, and y/n is my adopted sibling. i wanna become a hunter to find my dad."

then it was the blonde's turn. "i have no obligation to give you my name or why i want to become a hunter."

the annoying old man chimed in "yeah. i don't have to tell you anything!!"

"okay. hey, katzo!"

"yes, captain!"

"tell the exam committee that we have teo droppouts." the captain said. they both sneered, but proceeded to tell him their stories. the blonde was named kurapika, and explained that he was the last remaining member of the kurta clan, becoming a hunter to get revenge on the phantom troupe. i felt kind of bad for him.

then it was the old man's turn. his name was leorio, but im gonna call him l'oreo, and he wants to be a hunter for money. how selfish -.-*.

the crew was having trouble up top, so me and gon decided to help, as kurapika and l'oreo got into a fight for some reason. all i heard was,

"tAkE tHaT bAcK, LeoRiO, i sAiD tAkE tHaT bAcK ! ! "

" . . . iTs Mr. LeoRiO."

that part was kinda funny but i didn't pay attention any further. gon jumped off the edge to save katzo, and kurapika and l'oreo grabbed him. when he was safe, i smacked him on the shoulder and scolded him.

then we got off the boat, took the test with the old granny, and went to the house with the navigators. i realized that this was a trick, because the whole situation didnt make sense tbh- so I passed. the navigator led us to our destination, and led us to the back room of a restaurant. he left and at that, we were left in a room.

when we realized it was an elevator, kurapika and l'oreo got into another fight about whether hunters fight for fame or honour. as they asked for me and gon's opinion, we sweat dropped. saved by the elevator, we left and got to our destination. its about time! this ride was so long and slow :(. we hopped off the elevator and got our numbers. i got number 406.

then i see a ball of a man coming towards us. "hiya, guys. you must be rookies."

"how can you tell? we might be veterans, for all you know." I said, respectfully. although, i didn't trust this guy at all.

"well, this is my 35th they at the exams, and so don't recognize you guys. the names tonpa."

i rolled my eyes at the guy. i could tell that he had a fake smile, he wanted to crush us. literally.

"here, how bout a toast to friendship, huh?" he asked, pulling out orange drinks. this guy really thinks he is slick, huh?

"oh, I'm so sorry, mister tonpa, but im not too fond of poison drinks. none of us are immune." I say politely.

"what?! these are POISONED?!" l'oreo screams. tonpa turns completely pale, and people start staring, making me self consious.

"shut up, l'oreo! you're drawing attention! and yes, these have laxitives in them."

"how do you know, eh?!"

"i just know." i said as i glared at the man. he was very creepy and i didnt like him so i avoided eye contact from that point forward.

"ok, can you all pLEase stop staring at me?" i turn to the crowd, they all turn away.

"w-wow, ok. nice to know you can sniff out poisons, y/n" l'oreo says, trying to hide his slight fear.

"you can call me n/n. you calling me by my full name just makes me feel as old as you." I said. suddenly, a guy with lilac hair, really thin limbs and no mouth walked to the front of the crowd.

"sorry for the wait everyone, let the first phase of this years hunter exams will now begin."

~~••~~

so.. did u guys like it?? i hope so

i wont be updating as much as i would like to be but after school is over it will be much better. i hope you guys enjoyed :-)