31. Jenny Fights Her Tongue

Juliana's words were spoken with so much conviction, Jenny couldn't help believing her. There was no trace of mollification or condescension. She wasn't trying to make Jenny feel better or worse. She simply believed what she was talking about.

Finding balance. Jenny wished she could find hers.

"My sense of balance isn't the best, as you well know," she said. Stop glorifying your weaknesses, Jenny reminded herself. Quick, talk about something else. "But I do make a mean omelet." Wait, did that sound like an invitation? To breakfast? Jenny nearly tripped on a sidewalk crack. Breakfast usually came after a steamy night of—

"Ooh, what kind of omelet?" Juliana replied, oblivious to Jenny's internal battle against depravity.

Jenny eagerly latched onto the question. "Spinach, mushrooms, cheese, and occasional dinner leftovers."

Juliana quirked an eyebrow. "Intriguing. So a lasagna omelet is a possibility?"

"I think a lasagna omelet happened last week," Jenny admitted.

"That sounds amazing."

Jenny laughed. "Does it? Most people think I've lost my mind."

"Or perhaps you're just too much of a genius to be understood."

"You seem to understand me." The realization warmed Jenny heart. So far, Juliana hadn't scoffed at anything she'd said. She didn't feel the need to defend herself or act differently. With Danielle, she always felt like she had something to prove. Like she had to earn the woman's respect.

Juliana's only response was a smile. It seemed genuine and reached her eyes, and Jenny imagined she saw some affection there. Maybe it was wishful thinking. Who wouldn't want to see affection shining at them from this thoughtful woman?

Then again, what if she wasn't imagining it?

Jenny stopped walking and faced the trainer. "Juliana, I—" I think you're amazing. "I—" I want to kiss you. She gazed into those patient, warm, brown eyes. Struggled with the fleeting words that danced on her tongue.

And decided to give her tongue something else to do.

She kissed her.

*squealing noises followed by voting noises*