email | lisa

Dear Ms. Tran,

I want to thank you for your interest in our summer intern position at Schleps and Co's Law Firm and for all of the time you have put into the interview process. Unfortunately, we will not be offering the position to you. While your education qualifications are very impressive, we have chosen a candidate who we feel was better suited. After you have gained some experience through volunteering, or another job position, we hope that you will re-apply at Schleps and Co's Law Firm.

On behalf of Schleps and Co's Law Firm, I thank you for your time, interest, and effort, and I wish you the best in your future career endeavours.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely,

Paul Reyes, Human Resources Manager

Lisa slams her laptop shut, so much for having this in the bag. Maya had promised her that her father thought she was a suitable candidate. The things she had to endure: Maya's cheating in crucial exams, snide comments made about how she dresses and watching her relationship deteriorate before her very eyes. And for what?

The only thing she had now was student body president yet she could feel it slipping, slipping away from her like all other opportunities in her life.

Her father peers in her doorway, a tray of cut up fruit in hand. "My-Duyen."  he eyes her now shut laptop warily. "Cẩn thận," he places the tray of fruit in front of her as though sensing her impending wave of sadness. Her dad was always seemed to know when she was upset, he wasn't like her mother. "Đi ngủ đi con, okay?"

He switches off her light after wishing her to sleep, a Disney desk lamp poorly illuminating his worry-filled eyes."Night, dad."

Her mother had yet to come home after work and she was dreading it.

She didn't just fail herself , she had failed her mother as well.

Lisa dials Chester's number but it goes straight to voicemail. 

She was alone, a tray of fruit slowly rotting away like her sanity.

The darkness of the room not quite as dark as her thoughts.