Only to abruptly be awaken at the crack of dawn of the kings arrival.

He sat in awe and a slight sleepless stupor as the king told him of his plans.
For Gavin to marry Brienna.

His heart sank to his stomach at the kings decision. In part, he knew the king wanted her lands protected and by marrying her it would unite them and earn him Hughs keep and lands so he may pass them to his daughter. Although,  It was also true he lusted for Brienna, But he could not get the mysterious girl from his mind and he was infuriated that his mind and heart were only on her.

Abruptly he was interrupted from his thoughts and asked for Brienna's  whereabouts before breaking into a gruff chuckle of remembering as a child and the stories of her mischief.

Sadly the heavy old man sat back and breathed with sigh at the loss of his knight that fought dutifully for him. He looked at Gavin with determined eyes and repeated what must be done. The soft tap at the door broke the kings harsh glare at Gavins irritated look. Quickly the air between them softened as Brienna slowly walked in.

Gavin softly looked at her. She was beautiful as she slowly walked in towards them. He could see how nervous she was as she approached the burly man sitting before them. With an elaborate curtsy she stood before him as he walked with open arms towards her.

Grubby callused hand carressed her cheeks as he gave a fatherly smile that calmed her nervous heart.

"My child you look as every bit as lovely as your mother"

His warm smile brought a tender feeling to her.

"My liege, you knew my mother?" her voice cracked meekly under the question. The fact that he knew her mother was a shock.

With a hearty chuckle he sat her down before him spoke of her mother's beauty that followed her through her youth to the day she gave birth to Brienna. Her mother's qualities and virtues slipped from his mouth like music to her ears. Her heart thumped at the image the king created of her mother her beauty, elegance and tender nature. The soft chuckle the king made of her mother's stubborness that equaled her own made her blush. He gently held her hands and met her hazel eyes with a coy smile reassuring her that she was her father's daughter with equal fury and ire of the Du'Montclief blood.

"And if I am not mistaken my child you can wield a broadsword just as old Hugh" he tapped her nose with a sly smirk aware of her knowledge of fighting with a sword.

Although he did not like the idea of a deinty delicate female handling such a weapon he understood Hugh's reasons for her to learn.

Startled hazel eyes met smiling brown eyes as he regarded Gavin with his odd silence that stood in the corner.

Clearing his throat the king straightened his composure to focus on more important matters.

Sitting up straight she watched the king begin his speech about political proceedings she never understood. He continued and went onto speak of her father's  holdings and how through marriage they can be protected.  She sat in a dazed state when the mention of her marriage to Gavin was decreed.
To Gavin.

All the color drained from her face as she stood on wobbly knees.

"If it tis your wish my liege, I will obey it," her eyes lowered.

Her head was bent as she turned slowly to walk away.

Her whole world came crashing at her feet.

Strong hands closed around her arms and pulled her to face silver pools of confusion that matched her own.

No words came from his mouth to explain the kings decision. She was so confused, she could not take it all in.