Chapter 33

She sat above Talbot looking at the crumpled ruin of the keep at a far distance. Smoke billowed from different parts of the courtyard and surrounding areas. Here she was, only few 100 feet away from the place she will soon enter and face the man that took everything from her.

A pang of fury at the man responsible for this grew within her and her eyes began to burn with unshed tears blurring her vision. A strong hate coursed through her veins for the man who had put her in this position.

She looked around and saw that he had more than enough men walking around and guards at his disposal.

Her heart tightened at the idea of just sneaking in getting him alone and killing him then sneak out with non the wiser. But, then that would be too easy, she wanted to fight him.

Anxiety and fear pulled at her, but she brushed the feelings aside. She needed strength and courage if she was going to do this and if she was going to do this, it had to be now. There was no turning back. No room for error.

Then Gavins words came to her and an unwavering warmth passed over her.

"Seeking revenge out of hatred Brienna, is something that will devour your very soul."

Trying hard she closed her eyes to get the words out of her head.

"One day he will have to face his demons in person, along with the consequences of his actions, and that can be far more painful than anything you could ever do to him, Brienna."

Breathing in deeply she dashed away her tears.

"Aye Justice?" she scoffed.

Shaking her head,she looked at the darkening sky and  her eyes followed the path down the hill that lead to the keep.

" Justice is about making him pay for my fathers pain. Revenge is to make him pay for mine."

Dismounting Talbot she tied him to a nearby tree and began her walk down the path.

*******

They covered the country side and was nearing the thickness of the forest. The strong hoof beats of an approaching rider, had them alert and on standby with swords drawn.

Pulling back and stilling the anxious horse Gavin circled Kevin and eyed his men with a warning glare to attack only on his command. 

He didnt want it to be her and they spook her horse and she is thrown off.

The rider cleared the path that lead to the entrance of the forest and came into their view. He acknowledged them immediately and pulled on the horses reins. Silently he looked at them and noticed they were all in the finest of armor emblazoned with a Raven on their shield and flags.

Relief crept up his chest as he noticed Lord Auburd, The Earl of Ravinhurst above his horse before him.

Breathlessly he pulled his horse to stay still.

"M'lord,  thank goodness you are here," he spoke with relief to his voice.

Gavin along with Kevin and Haroun rode closer to confront him.

"I am Edward, m'lord I was...well I am Brienna...no...Lady Brienna's friend from Forsythe," he stammered.

Gavin quickly looked at Haroun before pulling closer and let out an astonishing gasp.

"How could this be?" Gavin looked at the Edward.

Acknowledging he no longer was a boy but, practically a grown man.

A heaviness settled in his heart seeing him alive and well.

Dismounting his horse, Edward watched and did the same and Haroun followed.

Not knowing what else to do, he pulled Edward into an embrace that took him by surprise.

"How are you alive? Did any others survive? "

Edward smiled and inhaled a deep breath and explained it all to Gavin all of it and even finding Brienna and accidentally loosing her again.

Nervously he watched Gavins eyes turn dangerous as he mentioned she had left.

"What do you mean she left," he fumed.

"Aye, she left while we are all asleep,"

Edward spoke.

Gavin immediately looked at Haroun who inturn smirked at her recent ways of escape.

"M'lord we tried to persuade her into not doing this, but as you may know she is a pugnacious one when angered," Edward shook his head and watched Gavin begin to pace.

With a smirk he looked at Kevin and Haroun with their knowing look of it all to be true.

"You think she has made it there already," Gavin asked.

"Aye, I am sure of it and probably has found her way in already I fear," Gavin looked at him.

He stood silently and listened to Edward relay all what he knew of the keep and Defoes men. At the moment he had very little men for an attack. He was going to need more men.

"What are you thinking brother?" Haroun stood before him.

"We will need more men, We may need to send word to the king for more assistance, in the meantime we may have to wait and lay low until he sends some support. " he informed them.

"You plan a siege, m'lord?" Edward asked.

Gavin turned to face them all with a determined stare.

"No, we attack him just as he did Forsythe, while they sleep and when they least expect it."