Chapter 29

The delicate balance that finally settled within the walls of his keep, slowly but surely was falling around his head. He sat and listened to Haroun relate his worries after young Thomas told him about Brienna and Katherines heated confrontation in the stables.

She never mentioned a word about it to Gavin nor did he approach her for it.

He knew Katherine tested her, goaded her into a rage he supprisingly saw her control.

"What did you think was going to happen brother? You have your ex-lover and your wife under the same roof," he chastised him.

Leaning forward with his face in his hands, he cursed mumbling into them.

"Ugh! could this day not get any worse?" he croaked.

Mouth agape Haroun scoffed.

"Any worse! Are you looking for it to get any worser then this man! You're days away from scrapping up that womans bloody corpse from the courtyard floor," Haroun sarcastically warned.

"So cast her out is that it?" Gavin argued.

Haroun raised his hands shaking his head.

"If it were me she would never have sat and ate supper with us. But then again, I don't have a wife that can drive a dagger through my back in my sleep," he pointed out.

Giving him a smirk, Gavin stood and walked to the nearby window. The sun slowly began to set on the horizon. He had to do something and fast he breathed.

*******

The brisk morning air calmed her a bit. It was a good day for a hunt. Her, Gavin, Haroun a few guards accompanied them and of course the bain of her existence had to tag along.

With their bow and arrows in tow a bit of archery always proved the stress reliever for her.

They gathered around to take turns. She slowly stood bow and arrow readily aimed at her target that slowly scurried near the bushes.

Gavin stood with the rest and watched her skillfully track her target.

She pulled and released her arrow with a thwang it landed its target. Triumphantly she smiled as they began to clap. Smuggly she saw Katherine sneer and roll her eyes as she saw Gavin wink at her.

After some time the guards walked off further into the woods to retrieve whatever they could.

She stood silently aiming for another target while smirking to herself at Katherine beginning to fuss with her arrow. Distracted by her whining, she let her arrow go, missing her shot. Although none took it as a loss, her competitive ego would not let that go so easily. She noticed she ran out of arrows. Turning she walked off to retrieve more from her horses saddle off towards the far clearing where they were tied.

"Oh! Gavin can you help me? I cant seem to do this," Katherine pouted.

Siding next to her, he adjusted the arrow. Instinctively, when he saw she held it wrong, he stood behind her helping her aim the bow properly. A part of him knew what she intended and he inched away as she closed the distance and rubbed her back and rump to his chest and manhood. With a hiss he warned her to stop and be still in a low whisper none could hear. Aiming the arrow he told her to let go. With a swish it flew off over a clearing where he took off to retrieve the arrow, Katherine took this opportunity to follow him.

Not aware of her behind him as he turned with the arrow in hand she brushed headlong into him on purpose. Steadying her she quickly wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her lush body to his. With an oath he tried to be as polite as he could, but lost it to his temper and pulled out of her grasp.

"Katherine please, have a bit of respect. If not for me but for yourself," he pulled at her arms.

In a vice grip she held on to him and pulled him closer. In any other occassion he would have pushed her to the ground and had his way with her, but that all changed when he met , got to know and fell inlove with Brienna.

He pulled away with a curse, but she roughly pulled him back and aggressively her hands touched him and gropped him everywhere.

"Let me show you what a real woman can do for you, milord," she whispered heatedly near his lips.

Pulling him into a sensual kiss of longing for the brief second she did it, hazel eyes caught the act from beginning to end.

Blinded with tears and rage she quickly pulled her arrow up, bow in tow and aimed. Pulling back she let it go in time to hear Haroun yell her name and the shrill scream resonate throughout the forest.

Startled grey eyes looked at her as she stared with Ire at him. She stormed off leaving them all in shock.

Heatedly he pulled away from Katherines hold in time to hear the thwang of the arrow hit the tree at eyes length between them. Katherine inched back in a gasp and screamed at the revelation of the arrow sticking out of the tree, pinning a snake in its place.

The dead snake was no mere coincidence, or was it? His heart raced.

He quickly looked at it then at Brienna and what he saw at a distance chilled him to the bone. She stood with tear filled eyes, the look of hatred and hurt stared back at him.

He walked off towards her and instinctively he stopped when she stepped back defensively to aim her arrow at him. His heart stopped and he could see that she so desperately wanted to let the arrow go to shoot him. Lowering it when he didnt advance any further, she turned and ran off.

He gave Katherine a heated look then turning away from her he went after Brienna.

Triumphantly Katherine smiled. Finally she was getting somewhere.