Chapter 17 - Meeting a Sith Lord (Ariana)

The first thing I register is that I'm lying on something hard. And cold. Memories slowly flit back to the forefront of my mind. What happened? The balcony at Padme's apartment. The speeder. The stun shots. Right. I was hit so, where am I? I slowly open my eyes to see a bare, concrete ceiling overhead. Huh?

Slowly, I push myself into a sitting position and look around. I'm in what appears to be a concrete storage room. There's nothing inside. It dawns on me that I must have been kidnapped. Panic flares, but I ruthlessly squash it. If Sidious didn't kill me, then he clearly has plans for me. While that's probably a bad thing, at least I'm still alive. That's one plus.

Look at the positives. I frown, realizing that I have no idea what time it is. I cautiously stand up, swaying slightly on my feet. Reaching out, I brace myself on the wall, so I don't fall. I walk to the door and try to open it. Of course, it's locked. Turning, I spot a small window with closed blinds on the opposite wall. I open the blinds, and early dawn light floods the cell.

Sidious sure has a good taste in confinement. Probably he thought I was too untrained to escape. He's right about that, but it doesn't hurt to try. I won't give in to despair, and I certainly won't just sit here and wait for someone to find me. Even if Anakin does locate me, he might not be able to get me out in time. I could be transferred elsewhere or put in Force restraints. I grimace at the thought. Better not push my luck.

Sighing, I sit down on the floor in a meditating position and reach into the Force to calm myself. Even though I'm not in the best position, that doesn't mean I should give up. I need to be strong and remain positive. Closing my eyes, I let the Light Side rush through me, filling me with peace. I gently probe my faint bond with Anakin. It's very still, a clear sign that he's still sleeping.

Turning my thoughts away from him, I reach out for the lock through the Force, manipulating the components until I hear it click open. I can hardly believe my good fortune, and I realize a moment later that Sidious would never let me escape so easily after he went through the trouble to capture me.

Nevertheless, I stand up and cautiously open the door. I find myself looking down a hallway which seems to have many storage rooms on both sides. Great. Where am I anyways? I push it open a little further, knowing that I'll never be able to escape once I sense two Force presences nearby. Guards. They'll stop me before I can run. Doesn't mean I can't try. I step into the hall, wondering if I can run down the hall, letting the Force guide me to an exit.

"I don't think so," a firm voice stops me in my tracks, a hand coming down on my forearm. The man steers me back into the cell. "You'd better stay there. Lord Sidious wants to have a word with you. He'll be by later."

"I do think so," I retort, glaring at him, but not trying to break away, especially when the second guard has a blaster pointed straight at me. Once glance at him tells me who he is. Cad Bane. He's a notorious bounty hunter, who helped Sidious greatly in the Clone Wars. If I move wrong, I'm certain he'll shoot at me. I'd much rather be conscious when Sidious shows up for the meeting.

"I don't find these accommodations to my liking," I scowl at him.

"I'm afraid that these are the best you'll be getting," replies the first man, whom I don't recognize.

"You wouldn't want to make Sidious angry, would you?" questions Bane, a dark undertone in his voice.

I give him an icy look. "We really wouldn't want that, would we," I reply, sarcasm dripping from my words. "He might be grumpy, and an angry Sith isn't to be meddled with."

"Enough talking," snaps Bane, "Stay in there, or we'll have to restrain you. Sidious wants you alive and unharmed, but he didn't say we couldn't bind you."