Chapter 23. Poppy

I stand there watching them. Cosette's skirt is so short it barely counts as one. Her shirt isn't even tucked in.

Why bother wearing the uniform if you aren't going to wear it right?

She is so going to get in trouble if she gets caught.

James hasn't gotten any hotter or suddenly become a good person, which is no surprise.

I don't know why I haven't walked away. Curiosity? Jealousy?

He hands her a sparkly new necklace through the gate.

"So you can rid of that rusty old one," James says and Cosette smiles.

"Thank you! It's beautiful"

He leaves, on his dirty motorbike and Cosette turns around to face me.

"What? Spying are you?" She snaps, her lipstick is all messed up. I'm not going to point that out- she can her embarrass herself.

"No just wondering why you are always happy to accept things you know have been stolen,"  I say because we all know he has no job and his parents have practically disowned him.

"Who do you think you are?"

"What is going on here?" Mrs Hardy asks and we both spin around.

"Cosette was kissing her boyfriend over the fence" I reply and Cosetteglares at me, thunder in her eyes.

"Cosette, come with me" Mrs Hardy orders, and Cosette does.

"Snitch" she whispers to me as she passes.

She got what was coming.

I watch as she chucks her new necklace in the bin.

~~~~~

How was everyone's day?" Mum asks cautiously, I shrug.

My head hurts.

"Same as always" I reply and she nods, looking disappointed. I don't know what she expected.

I guess I could try to be happier. And I think I am, besides whenever Pippa opens her mouth.

"I started my painting in art class today!" Lucy announces happily, please don't start talking about it.

"Cool, what are you painting?" Mum asks and I groan. She'll never shut up now.

"It's a surprise, but the theme was something unexpectedly dark" and Daniel rolls his eyes.

"Alright then, I can't wait to see it," Mum says, it's Daniel's turn. I want to know if he apologised or Mum just let him back into this family anyway. "What about you Daniel?"

"Mostly did stuff with Alex" he replies, I don't see what she sees in him- especially with that beard of his.

"Anything else?" Mum asks, trying to not make it clear how she feels about Alex.