"I'm not going to let you shame me for being with someone outside of my race."

"You've missed the point and I expected you to. I would never shame anyone for their choice in marital spouse as long as those engaged in the relationship are equally yoked and of stable mind. You're simply, by my definition and many others, not problack," she shrugged. "But you're not obligated to define problackness the same way."

"We're not and we won't," Grant stated. "Problack doesn't mean anti-everything else. And being black is hardly a prerequisite to problackness. I consider myself problack because I want the same thing for the black community that Ruby Jean does. To grow and prosper in a world that wants differently."

"I used to think the same as you," I sighed. "And it was one of the reasons I fought my love for Grant for so long. If I fell in love with this white man, married him, and had his children, I wouldn't be able to call myself problack. As if loving him somehow made me love my blackness less. That isn't true and I won't continue to let some unlicensed used-to-be tell me differently. Grant, I'm ready to leave."

"Right behind you, Mama."

"There really is no need for all that," she insisted with a lazy chuckle. "I'm still here to help you two get in sync and we can do that without discussing political correctness."

"Can you also do it without being insulting?" I back sassed.

"Mmm... Sure. Why not?"

Although it was difficult, Grant and I both were able to relax a little. This old broad was really rubbing me the wrong way with her ugly Madea looking ass. She got one more time to piss me off before I cuss her out and leave her a bad review on Yelp with my vengeful Karen fingers.

One more time bitch.

It was a bit difficult to pay attention after this back and forth. Grant and I have never been attacked to forthrightly about our interracial coupling and surprisingly, I was unprepared for it.

Was it even really an attack?

Playing the conversation over in my head, all she did was express her opinions, not regarding interracial relationships, but if the term problack was still applicable.

I haven't given it much thought since Grant and I have been official. But thinking back to our first few months together, my problackness is what kept me from him. I equally believed that dating and marrying out made a black person less problack.

I don't really think that now. It shouldn't even matter.

But like the doctor said, problackness starts with the black family. An unit that was destroyed by white supremacy. If I'm not trying to repair the black family, and instead contributing to the issue, how could I call myself problack?

Do pro-life people practice abortions?

Do vegans eat meat?

Do PETA activists wear fur and partake in animal testing?

The answer is no to all of these.

"Ruby Jean," the doctor forced my attention. "You seemed detached. Is everything alright?"

"You really believe that being in an interracial marriage makes a black person less problack?"