Epilogue

I sat at the kitchen table and finished the rest of my lunch while my wife washed dishes. I would much rather her be resting but she insisted that she's rested plenty and that she's bored with doing nothing so she went ahead and made lunch and was now cleaning up afterward.

She stood at the kitchen sink, rinsing ceramic plates and placing them in a drying wrack. Her hair was skilfully done by River in knotless braids that she styled in an elegant donut bun. Gold cuffs and other trinkets adorned her crown. She wore a white long sleeve top and pair of olive tone corduroy overalls with bell bottom legs covering her fuzzy socks.

Ruby Jean has been complaining more recently about how much I look at her and that I'm being weird but I can't help it. She's so damn perfect.

She sensed me watching her and turned around to face me. No makeup. No lashes. Just her in all of her effortless charm. My eyes travelled further to take in the most beautiful thing about her. Her nine months pregnant belly, pushing against the thick fabric of the corduroy.

"Oh my God, Grant!" she scoffed. "What now?"

"Nothing. I'm just looking at you. Damn!"

"Stop staring at me all the time. It's weird!"

"No it ain't, woman. It's perfectly natural for a man to stare at his wife. Especially, if he's married to the most gorgeous girl in the world." I stood up and walked to her.

She glared up at me, not fully knowing what would be my next move but I'm sure she could take a guess.

I grabbed her by her pretty face and kissed her lips. So soft and tender. I can never get enough of her. I kissed her til she got tired of me.

"Get off!" she grouched. "You stank! You smell like fish."

I laughed at her grouchiness. "You like fish though. You should like the smell on me."

"You're right," she rolled her eyes. "Fish scented cologne suits you."

"For a moment there, I had that evil side of you tamed."

"Boy, bye. I'm untameable."

I hollered with laughter. "You damn right about that, Mrs. Augustus." I slapped her ass when she waddled from the kitchen. I returned to the great outdoors to finish up my tasks for the day.

Clouds of breath floated around me as I focused on changing the oil in Ruby Jean's Chevy Malibu.

I laid on my creeper seat and manoeuvred my fifteen millimetre socket through the belly of the engine, quickly draining the oil and replacing the filter. I'd been outside most of the morning and afternoon, only having stopped for a lunch of tuna salad sandwiches and potato chips.

The baby was due in just a few more days and there was plenty that needed to be done beforehand. Making sure both of our cars were in tip top shape should've been done a long time ago and I hate I waited so late to do it. It was cold as shit out here and my fingers were getting numb. As much as I loved being a mechanic, the worst part of it was working in the cold.

I would've liked to avoid the harsh winter temperatures but there was so fucking much going on from the time we announced our baby's arrival 'til now.

Ruby Jean and I had a wedding three months ago. Pearly Ann moved. My new assistant is lame. We moved into our new house which meant we had to do a ton of shopping for it. Doctor's appointments. Prenatal yoga classes. Baby showers. Decorating the nursery. Shopping and more shopping. My Dad's birthday was in October. Not to mention Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas is tomorrow.