Chapter 6

I should tell him the truth, I thought to myself as I caressed his broad shoulders.

After witnessing the horror of a marriage coming to a possible end over dishonesty, it forced me to take a look at my own relationship. I haven't exactly been untruthful but I have been withholding information from him.

"G?"

"Hm," came a half forced response.

"I'm going to be honest with you," I began with a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "I want to marry you. I want a family. I do want to spend the rest of my life with you. We've been together for a while and this is definitely something I want with you. I know that for certain. There's no easy way to articulate this without sounding silly and immature but there is something you haven't done. Never. Not even once. And that's literally all I'm waiting on. It's hardly anything major, and with that being said, I'm very disappointed in you for not figuring it out by now. I could just dismiss it all together but I'd be doing myself a disservice if I continued a life with you without having you do this one simple thing for me."

A heartbeat or two went by when I noticed his light snoring and steadied breathing. He was asleep. What a geezer.

Grant rests so peacefully. After sleeping alongside him all this time, I still think it's one of the most endearing sights in the world.

I adjusted the comforter around his shoulders and left him to rest.

Since this was our last night, come morning, we would be on the road for a nine hour drive back home. I prepared our clothes for tomorrow's trip and packed the rest of our things.

It was a very bittersweet —mostly bitter —task. I was not looking forward to whatever Canterbury held for us once we arrived back.

Being twenty-five in age meant nothing in wisdom. I was still the same spoiled self-centred wretch that I have been since I was a child. The only difference is that now, I have someone who I would like to better myself for. Despite me doing a lot of complaining today, I have been trying to keep my complaints to a minimum. When we're home, I hardly mention my discomfort at all. Grant and I are in each other's company so little that I try to not waste our precious time with any negativity.

Millie gave me her number and I had half a mind to check up on her but decided against it. I wasn't really in the mood to be conversing with anyone but I did hope that she and her family were okay.

I planned to retire for the night with a box of Cheez-Its and a Parks and Recreation binge-a-thon. I was halfway into an episode when my phone buzzed and my banner alerted a text from Z.

Z: busy?

Me: not really. G is asleep and I'm watching Netflix. What are you and Pearly Ann up to?

Z: she's on the phone with your mom. She's ratting you out about this afternoon.

Me: lil snitch ass 😒

Z: Meet me at the pool? I wanna talk.

Me: 😫😫😫 whyyyyyy? I'm so comfortable.

Z: please?

Me: give me 5

I gave the biggest eye roll of my life but I obliged him. I knew he wouldn't be requesting my present like this unless something was bothering him and there wasn't much I wouldn't do for him.

I dragged my complacent ass out of bed and rummaged through my bags until I found a pair of plain leggings and sandals.

By the time I was fully dressed, Grant was in a deep sleep. I leaned over him to plant a kiss on his cheek and left him to meet his intrusive younger sibling.