V - Seth

Seth

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

I turned off the car and leaned on the steering wheel. Looking at the clock on the dashboard, it was 3:50 in the morning. I'd spent the entire forty-five minute drive back home worrying over Jon and if I was even doing the right thing or not.

I couldn't go off into the woods after them, I'd just end up lost. I reminded myself yet again that I had no clue where they were heading or what direction they'd even started off in. That left me with only a few options left. Find help or wait for him.

And if I went to the cops saying that my brother's been taken by a bunch of vampires, they'd just throw me in a loony bin. Sure, they may send a search and rescue, but how long would it take to convince them Jon wasn't merely lost in the woods?

What should I do?! I wanted to turn around, and drive back to the woods and search through every inch of them. They honestly couldn't have gotten that far!

I sat back, rubbing my face roughly before reaching for Dad's knife. The effect was almost immediate. I took a deep breath, and focused on the new wave of calmness I felt running through. It was odd, and I probably just thought the knife made me feel less scattered, but I'd take whatever I could get at the moment.

Closing my eyes, I thought about what I should do again. I should go into the house, get cleaned up, charge my cell phone, and wait to see if Jon calls me. It wasn't what I wanted to do, but it seemed more sensible.

My muscles screamed at me as I pulled myself from the car. I was exhausted, and hurt. I reached in for my bag, but dropped it and the knife as the new pain spread through my mind again. I fell to my knees, trying to catch my breath.

It was that noise, the one that had blared in my head earlier. The one that belonged to the vampires that had taken Jon. God, why did it hurt so much just to hear it? It'd never hurt to hear Jon's melody, so why did this one hurt so freaking much?

I pulled myself back up, and grabbed the knife. The pain had faded a little, enough that I could focus on the one thing I needed to do. Track down those bastards that took Jon.

A new strength flowed into me. I wasn't sure if it came from the knife or if it was just the adrenaline. I followed the noise. It remind me of playing hide and seek with Jon when we were little, letting the rise and fall in pitch of the noise lead me closer. Only this time, the music wasn't so pleasant to listen to.

They kept moving away from me, closer to the streets of downtown. When I finally caught up with them, I found that I'd been wrong. It wasn't the same guys from last night. The sound was coming from two guys who stood with a woman in an alley. I thought frantically. The sound was the same, so who were these guys? Where was Jon?

I watched them a moment more, enduring the painful noise. The woman tried to leave them, one blocked her way. Even if they didn't have Jon, maybe I could get some information from them. They might know where I could find him. The knife was glowing again, a light blue.

Taking a deep breath, I ran into the alley. I trusted the calmness I felt from the knife, and instinct. I didn't know where it came from, but it'd worked last time.

One of the guys turned in surprise, and I stabbed him in the heart before he had a chance to react. A hand grabbed me from behind. I lost my grip on the knife as I was thrown to the side. My back hit a wall, and the air rushed out of my lungs. The vampire I'd stabbed fell to dust. The woman was nowhere in sight. I felt relief flood through me. She'd gotten away.

I pulled myself up, gasping for air, only to have the wind knocked out of me again. The blow sent me back into the brick wall. A new sound found its way into my head, but it was so familiar that it made my heart ache. Jon!