II - Jonathan

Jonathan

North of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

"What's out there? Why's it so quiet?" I swallowed, my throat dry with nerves.

Seth shifted next to me, reaching to look out the flap. I studied his face and worried over the dark circles under his eyes. This trip was for him, I reminded myself.

He chuckled at me. "Jon, you need to lighten up. There's probably a bear or wolf out there somewhere." He pulled on his shoes. "Stay here. I'm going to go check on the food."

My brother crawled out, leaving me alone in the tent. I reached for my cellphone, checking again for reception. There still wasn't any. I threw it back down on to my sleeping bag, and slipped my hand underneath the pillow. This time, my fingers closed around the hardened leather handle of my father's knife.

After all those years, even when we'd begged and pleaded with Mom to tell us anything about our father, she'd said it just didn't matter anymore. I couldn't remember what we'd been searching for, but I wouldn't soon forget the look on Seth's face when he'd pulled the box marked 'Elijah' out of Mom's safe. We were both in shock.

We'd spent the rest of that night pouring over the papers and small, cloth bound photo album we found pinned underneath the knife in the box. I remember that tight pressure in my chest when we pulled the last slip of paper out. A death certificate for Elijah Lewis, our father.

I pushed the thought from my mind. I couldn't think about that now. Seth was already worried enough by having to support us. He'd been working every moment he could since Mom had passed. He didn't need to come back and find me crying like a baby. Sixteen year-old's don't cry.

I gripped the knife's handle tighter and pulled the blade from its sheath. Anyone would expect the metal to be rusty and dull from the worn look of its casing, but the steel was as bright as if it'd been made yesterday. I read the inscription that ran along the guard. Aut vincere aut mori. Conquer or die.

What was taking Seth so long? I tried not to think of the possibilities. I didn't like being out here in the middle of the woods, away from the city. What would I do if something went wrong out here? It's not like I could run up to the drug store if we needed anything. I'd feel so much better about this trip if my phone would work. But, it's what Seth wanted for his birthday. So here we were, out in the middle of nowhere because we couldn't even spring for a proper camp site.

Something rustled in the grass behind the tent. I turned quickly, backing as far away as the tent would allow. My heart raced, pounding painfully in my chest. The thing moved again, coming right up next to the tent. The moon threw a monstrous shadow against the fabric.

"Seth." My voice quivered, barely audible to my own ears. I tried again. "Seth!"

"What?" Seth popped his head in through the flap, his flashlight held up under his chin. I yelped, practically jumping out of my skin.

The creature outside made a startled screech and scurried away.

I grabbed at my chest, willing my heart to slow down. "There was something beside the tent, but I think you scared it off."

Seth rolled eyes. "It was probably a possum, and it was your screaming like a girl that scared it off. Seriously Jon, nothing is going to eat you out here," he said, disappearing out of the tent again.

"You're right." I took a deep breath and let it out.  My nerves still hummed. If that was a possum, I'd hate to see a bear! I shivered and rubbed my arms. I had to get out of this tent. Seriously, who in their right mind would enjoy camping?