Geralt

Geralt was sitting upright in bed, Elena's head still resting on his abdomen. She had been deep asleep for an hour, barely moving except a few twitches here and there. Geralt looked at her sleeping form and felt a pang of jealously, how he wished he could sleep that deeply.
He'd been wrestling with his thoughts for some time now. Just before he had lost consciousness at the seance, he'd seen inside Elena. She had shown him her feelings for him and knowing them now made is so, so very difficult to leave her. She thought she loved him. How could she possibly love him? All aspects of himself fell impossibly short of what she deserved.
He let out an exasperated sigh. What am I going to do?

Unable to reach a decision he began to think upon the images Elena had shared with him; One image that was unmistakably himself but he looked very different to what he did now. The rest were all Elena: one with a king who's face he faintly recognised. Another she was embracing what looked to be others of her kind- male and female, their glow matching hers. He lingered over the last image she had shown him especially. In this, Elena looked completely unearthly in her angelic form, people bowing down at her feet in worship. In her face he seen years of knowledge, wisdom, beauty and above all, power. He had absolutely no idea what it could mean, but it took his breath away.
He could feel himself growing more and more perplexed as he tried to work out their meaning. He let out a frustrated groan, this was no good. He needed space and air to think, he needed to get outside.
He gently took hold of Elena's head and manoeuvred himself out of the bed, softly placing her head on the pillows where his body had been. He watched her face nervously, looking for signs of her awakening but it wasn't necessary. She didn't even batter an eyelid. He smiled and gently stroked her face, his heart warming as she smiled at his touch.
He left the room quickly, closing the door quietly behind him, and went in direction of the temples garden.

It didn't take long to reach the garden, and he found it was much unchanged since the last time he had visited here. His favourite place had always been beside the large, grey stone fountain. It was surrounded by lavender, jasmine, hawthorn and other species of flowers and herbs he didn't have the names for. He sat himself down on a bench closest to the fountain and closed his eyes. He sat for a long time enjoying the scents and sounds that filled his senses, soothing his tormented mind. He was too absorbed by the splashing and gurgling of the fountain that he didn't notice her approach.
"Hello Geralt," Nenneke's voice sounded from behind him.
"Nenneke," he said, not bothering to open his eyes. He heard her walk towards him, and she sat down on the bench beside him with a sigh.
"She's remarkable isn't she?" Her voice awestruck. Geralt knew she meant Elena. "Where ever did you find her?"
"By accident," he said, keeping his eyes closed as he pictured the first time he saw her. "Deep in an Angreen forest."
"Trust you to stumble upon an Angel," Nenneke chortled. "I almost feel sorry for you Geralt." He opened his eyes at this.
"What do you mean?"
"Well, on the one hand; you're extremely lucky to have encountered her. It truly is a remarkable discovery. But on the other; I know first hand how hard it is to resist her pull, it's completely intoxicating. I can see she's gotten under your skin. And knowing you as well as I do, you feel you're undeserving of her. Witcher's don't get to fall in love, do they Geralt?" Her mud coloured eyes looking sadly up at him. He clenched his jaw tightly, he couldn't argue with her reasoning.

"What do the visions mean?" He asked, changing the subject. She turned her gaze towards the fountain and let out a meaningful sigh. "I think you know as well as I do," she said keenly. "They're visions of the future- Multiple, differing realities. Which one is her destiny cannot be decided just yet. Who knows? Maybe all the things prophesied will come to pass. Only time will tell."
This wasn't the answer Geralt had been hoping for and Nenneke knew it. "Geralt, I cannot tell you what you should do," She said sympathetically.
"I know."
"Have you considered asking Elena what she wants?" Nenneke inquired innocently.
"I don't need to. I know what she wants," an edge of annoyance in his voice. For some reason he couldn't fathom, Elena wanted him. She didn't want power, glory, worship or riches. The only thing she desired was to be with him and to help others when occasion called.
"Of course you do. Well, it would seem your decisions made for you. Stay with her Geralt. What's the worst that could happen?"
An excellent question. One that worried him to his core. The worst would be if he held Elena back from becoming who she was meant to be. She was an Angel for Gods sake! She had been sent here for a reason, and Geralt was pretty sure the reason wasn't to be with him.
"Either way," Nenneke continued. "She's more than welcome to stay here and I'll be her guide. You too should stay awhile, it'll do you some good."
Geralt gave a short "hmph."
"I know this might not have occurred to you, but you do deserve a bit of happiness once in a while Geralt," she said as she rose to her feet. "Don't let the opportunity pass you by." She smiled at him fondly, then left him alone once again. As always, Nenneke wanted what was best for him. But what was best for Elena?

He cast a searching look up the sky, but he knew he would find no answers there. He already knew what had to be done. There was only choice that left any hope for Elena's undecided future. In the visions he had seen Elena thrive, he hadn't been in any of them. Which could only mean that for Elena to ascend, he would have to leave her.
It had to be now.
He rose with a start and made his way towards the stable. He couldn't risk going back to say goodbye. He knew he wasn't strong enough to look her in the eyes and then willingly leave her. He wouldn't be able to resist her.
This was the only way.

He found Roach and saddled her hastily. Roach tossed her head insistently as he mounted her, seeming to sense his urgency. He gave the stirrups a sharp dig to her sides and she shot out of the stables.
He couldn't help but imagine the look on Elena's face when she woke and found him gone, the sight of it almost made him want to turn Roach back around and run straight for her. But he buried it deep down inside him, and pressed on faster. The guilt alone almost engulfed him.
She would be fine without him.
She would be hurt for a while but she would recover and move on, and become stronger and happier than she could ever be with him. His mind filling with the vision he had seen of her being worshiped at some point in the future. His heart clenching miserably at the sight of her. He knew that in time Elena would forget him, but Geralt had lived long enough to know that he would never forget her. He knew that she was it for him. There could be no one that ever touched him like she could. No one could ever compare or replace her. Not even if he lived for another hundred years.
But this wasn't about his feelings. He was doing this for her. It finally dawned on him that he loved her.
He loved her. But he had to let her go.