Chapter Tre

"So, I had the worst day today. I don't even know what I was thinking, trying to work for my dad again, I never learn, never, I can't believe myself!". I sighed, tying my hair in defeat. "It's like I'm prone to failure Hank, I should have started a band!". I took off my scarf and unbuttoned my jeans.

"Say something! Hank!?" I shouted from the toilet seat, he had his back turned to me when I walked in. "Must be asleep" I mumbled under my breath. I sat on the toilet and all I could think of was how pathetic my life had become, that was all I came home to, every day. I worked hard, for nothing, I couldn't even keep a job.

"What are we getting to eat?, I made a few bucks at Dads, we could order Chinese, If you want?" I waited for a response while washing my face. It was eerily quiet, all I could hear was the sound of my fridge and the howling of the wind coming in from a small crack in the window.

I walked towards the sofa where I could see the back of his head, rigid against the sofa. "Hey Hank?" I moved closer to him and shook his shoulder slightly. "Are you okay?" I asked softly growing more concerned with every question. I heard a sudden squeak, in my peripheral vision, I saw the doorknob turn slightly. I had left the door open! I gulped as my heartbeat quickened.

I stood still, frozen in time. awaiting the worst. Why? Because I lived in a shady neighborhood, no one just popped in to bring you a casserole, people killed for a living, there is nothing they know better.

The door slammed against the already fragile wall and in they came. The people that were going to change my life, forever. My instinct finally kicked in and I dashed to my bedroom slamming the door behind me, heart thumping, mind racing. "I am going to die" I breathed. I scanned my room as if I was seeing it for the first time, looking for a weapon. I pushed all my weight against the door as tears ran down my face. "Maybe it's dad?, maybe I'm overreacting. Bad things can't always just happen to me" I thought, swallowing a sob. I heard the thud of footsteps but no words were spoken.

I left Hank out there, I remembered, immediately feeling guilty. That's when I heard it. His voice. The footsteps were getting louder. I held my breath and covered my mouth trying to dampen my heavy breathing. "let's not make this harder than it should be Andrea, you need to come with us" That voice, it sounded so familiar. My heart sank, he knew my name, this was not good!

"Andrea!" He growled. Tears were rolling down my cheeks. All I could do was cry. He came closer to the room, I could hear his breathing through the door. He knew where I was, he was just playing me.

"Your father is going to pay for this!" he chuckled in a nasty snarl. What does he mean? I gulped in air trying to calm my racing heart. He started pounding harshly against the door, making it rattle against my back. "Don't make me shoot your friend bellissima" I could hear the amusement in his tone. He was mocking me. Motherfucker!