Flash Fiction

Untapped Potential by Midnight_Love 

Breath in, breath out.

I silently chanted the mantra as I tried to keep my balance on the beam. This was a life or death situation, one wrong move and all hell was going to break loose. Literally. I continued my steady trek across this thin board.

Thank you mother for forcing me into gymnastics.

"Okay, Blaire you're almost there." My commander spoke softly through the earpiece. I had almost forgotten he was watching. I took more careful steps finally making it to the end. I took another deep breath as I looked all around seeing where it was safe to land. I took a small step back before leaping into the air landing on the next platform.

"Okay, you're looking for a specific star, it's your key into the lower chambers. I walked through the small opening on the platform. Inside the hole was dark. I blinked my eyes twice as they began to glow allowing me to see in the dark.

"Uh, Kelvin? I hate to break it to you, but I see nothing but stars here." I looked around and saw star shapes of different sizes everywhere.

"I wish I could help, but the map wasn't clear. You'll just know when you see it." Commander said. I looked around and observed the room carefully taking in everything.

"Also, not to ruin the mood or anything, but we only have twenty minutes before the gates of Hell break and we're facing more than just a few rogue demons." He said in a slightly rushed tone.

"Cool your tits. I wouldn't be called the Chosen One if I couldn't do it right?" I teased. Then I saw it. At the very top was a shining blob. It's light was a bit brighter than the other stars. The fact it's shape wasn't a star at all told me the riddle literally meant an actual star.

"You clever man, you." I laughed. "Okay, how am I supposed to get it down?" I asked. I looked down and knew walking wouldn't be the smart thing. There wasn't anything to walk on. To a mortal with a flashlight it seemed like solid ground.

But I wasn't human. Heck, no one really knew what I was. There was a prophecy 'forged by fire, built by light'. Turns out my dad was an Angel and he fell in love with a creature of the night. No one really said what she was, but if I were to guess I'd say she was a demon.

"Use your pouch, it is equipt to give you what you need." Kelvin reminded me.

I reached into the small pouch on my hip and felt nothing. "Uh, Kelvin, I think your pouch is broken. All I have is a button, a paperclip, and a small piece of string."

"Use your powers."

I rolled my eyes as I stared at the three useless items. I tied one end to the paperclip and the other I threaded through the holes of the button tying the ends securely. I unraveled the paperclip for it to resemble a hook. I closed my hand around the items searching deep within for that serge of energy I always get when I tap into my powers.

I felt the familiar electricity building up and flowing through my arm into my hand. I opened my hand and watched the button begin to grow. I dropped everything as the button began to form into some kind of platform. The string turned into rope & the paperclip into an actual hook.

"Why couldn't it just give this to me to begin with?" I asked out loud.

"Sorry dear, everything can't just be handed to you. You have to learn to use your powers."

I picked up the hook and twirled it over my head a few times before tossing it towards the star. As it got closer, the hook then turned into a claw grasping the star in its hold.

"Holy shit this is cool." I tugged on the rope a few times before it finally came loose. As it fell from its spot in the wall the ground began to shake.

"I've watched enough movies that tell me this is not good." I commented as I caught it, safely placing it inside the pouch. Giant rocks began to fall all around me effectively blocking the way I just came.

The pouch began to glow as stairs illuminated themselves to my far right. I rushed over and descended the stairs. As I got further down I realized the rocks would disappear once they passed the platform.

"Gates of Hell, here I come."