“So do I,” Jeb warned. When Willie appeared ready to argue, Jeb held up his hand to silence him. “I’m in charge here, Willie. I trust Gill and Pete and that’s all that should matter.” 

“Normally I’d trust you,” Willie assured him. “But just now I’m worried that you’re thinking with your pecker.” 

Jeb’s fist twitched as he fought the urge to punch Willie square in his cocky mouth. It was clear that Willie recognized the anger flashing in Jeb’s green eyes because the man stepped back and swallowed hard. Jeb slashed his hand through the air. “That’s a hell of a thing for you to say to me. For the last ten years I’ve done nothing other than look out for my family and that’s not about to change. I wouldn’t put any of you in danger just to satisfy my pecker and you damn well know that. Now I understand that you’re upset that Pete and Gill came along because of Jane but that’s just too damn bad. Now get to bed because we have to leave out early tomorrow and I sure as hell don’t want to have to listen to you grumble about being tired.” 

Willie didn’t say a word before turning and rushing off toward his tent and for that Jeb was grateful. He breathed deep through his nose to calm his temper a moment. He was tired of having his judgment questioned. If he thought for one minute that Gill and Pete were a threat to his family he would end them both but he didn’t believe they were--and since he’d never steered his group wrong, he didn’t think they had any reason to question him. 

Jeb sighed and glanced up toward the cloudy night sky. Maybe he should just go on to bed. His good mood had been doused by Willie’s words and he didn’t want to end up snapping at Gill and ruining the fragile relationship he’d been struggling to build with the other man. 

Deciding that bed, rest and a fresh start in the morning would probably be for the best, Jeb turned toward his own tent and raised his boot to take a step only to stop with his foot in midair when he glanced toward Gill’s tent and saw the other man watching him from the open flap. Their eyes met and the air sizzled. 

Gill disappeared as he quickly let the flap fall closed but Jeb’s mind had already been changed. He might like to think himself the boss of this group but if he allowed himself to be honest--all Gill had to do was snap his fingers and Jeb would come running. 

He had it bad for the half-colored son of an outlaw who was hiding something but unwilling to open up. 

Jeb’s dirty boots quickly closed the distance between himself and Gill’s tent and he slipped inside without hesitation. Gill was sitting upon his bedroll with his legs crossed as if he’d been waiting on him. “I saw you talking to Willie,” Gill stated before Jeb could speak a word. 

Jeb nodded and rubbed his face. “Yep. He seems to think I shouldn’t trust you.” Jeb settled himself down beside Gill and leaned in close to let his lips linger against the erratic pulse in the other man’s neck. “He seems to think you mean to do us harm, Gilliam.” 

Gill’s throat worked hard as Jeb’s hungry lips caressed his skin. “Do you believe him?” he whispered. 

Jeb chuckled and pressed a light kiss to Gill’s full, unsuspecting lips before pulling away. “If I had thought you were a threat I would have run you off the day you showed up,” he admitted. “Now do I think you’re being completely honest with us? No, I don’t and I won’t lie; that bothers the hell out of me.” Jeb sighed and took Gill’s hand in his. He loved the way Gill’s skin contrasted against his own. “But you’re no threat, Gilliam. You won’t hurt me or these people” 

Gilliam’s gaze slowly rose and his brown eyes were wide with confusion as he looked into Jeb’s. “How can you be sure?” 

Jeb moved forward and pushed Gill back until the man was lying flat on the bedroll and Jeb’s body hovered over him. Jeb looked down into Gill’s darkening eyes and smiled. “Because, no matter what brought you here, you feel the same damn things that I do when we’re near each other and that is what’s going to keep you here.” 

Jeb saw the war of emotions in Gill’s eyes. He knew the man was fighting some inner battle that he wasn’t willing to speak about… Jeb might not know what exactly the battle was but he wanted to make sure that whichever part of Gill was warring to be with him was the side to win.

Swooping down, Jeb captured Gill’s lips in a hot, searing kiss. Gill kissed him back, matching his passion and clutching at the back of Jeb’s vest. Jeb felt powerful as he braced himself above Gill’s smaller frame and yet he trembled as Gill’s lips left his and worked their way to his neck. 

How was it possible for a man to feel so powerful and yet so weak all at once? Jeb didn’t know but, hellfire, he damn sure wasn’t about to complain. 

“Gilliam, I only need one answer from you.” 

“What’s that?” Gill growled, his voice rumbling against Jeb’s ear. 

“Tell me you’re not gonna just run off and leave this behind.”

Gill froze and pulled back. His deep brown eyes looked into Jeb’s and a frown pulled down his full lips as his brow furrowed. “Aren’t you the one who said we were just grown men having fun?” he questioned. “Now you sound like you want commitment.” 

Jeb shrugged one shoulder. “Maybe I do, Gilliam.” He lowered his mouth and nipped at Gill’s lower lip. “Maybe I want to be the only man to have you like this. To hear you moan and to make you throw your head back as I touch you, taste you, bury myself inside you….” 

Gill’s hips shot upward and Jeb hissed through his teeth when their rock hard cocks pressed tight together through the confines of their clothes. Gill’s hungry eyes narrowed. “If I stick around then I damn sure better be the only man you’re…uh... with…” he muttered and Jeb smiled. It was entertaining to hear Gill try to come to terms with his newfound sexuality and openness with who he was. The man was so damn uncomfortable speaking about it that it nearly made Jeb laugh out loud. 

“I can promise there won’t be anyone but you,” Jeb assured him. Hell since Gill had entered camp he’d been the only thing Jeb had been able to focus on for too awul long. He didn’t see faithfulness being an issue. “But you still haven’t answered my question.” 

 Jeb once again saw that hesitation and doubt enter Gill’s eyes. It was time to cut right to the chase. Jeb sighed and pulled away, setting himself on his backside and folding his arms over his knees. “What makes you pull back and keep that wall up? What are you hiding from me, Gilliam?”

A/N; Sorry for the nine day hiatus! I've been very sick for a long time (months and months) with many different stomach issues. I'll spare y'all the details but let's just say that nothing every stayed down in my stomach for long before I was seeing it all over again! Needless to say I have now been told I have severe acid reflux(which i'm on 3 different pills for), coliitis (which sucks) and my gallbladder was functioning at below 30 percent. So last wednesday they removed my gallbladder and since i haven't been getting sick. So here's hoping that I'm cured and will feel good from now on and these long pauses between updates and trouble focusing will come to an end! Thanks to y'all for the patience the last few months! Hopefully your update queen will be back full force!