9

It's been a few years now since you started hanging out with Homra. You've become very good friends with most of its members and they even respected how you couldn't speak. They couldn't understand you like Saruhiko could, but they at least tried. Over the timespan of a few years, Saruhiko was able to understand what you were saying just from the movement of your lips. It deeply warmed your heart at how much trouble he went through for you and you tried to show your appreciation any way you could. So, you kept him company when it looked like he didn't want to be bothered by the other Homra members.

Today, you happened to be sitting by the counter having a glass of water as Saruhiko played with some of the matches Kusanagi left out for guests while some of the members went to take care of something. You watched quietly as he lit one after the other with no end or purpose. With careful movements, you took another drink from the glass cup then held it in your hand. Saruhiko noticed you seemed off then started a conversation.

"You don't have to sit with me, you know."

"But I want to."

"You look bored."

"Just not an interesting day."

It was then that the front door to the bar swung open as if to signal someone's arrival. You wished you had a chance to run once the person spoke since it wasn't a voice you ever wanted to hear in your life. This was probably the reason why you dropped the cup on the floor causing it to break into pieces. For the voice was from someone you hadn't seen in years. It was him.

"Not an interesting day, huh, (y/n)? How about I lighten things up?" the voice said and you didn't need to turn around to know who it was. You felt as if you were glued to the seat as you saw his reflection in the alcohol bottles lining the wall in front of you. Saruhiko stared at you in shock from your petrified state then turned around. By the door, there stood a man with pitch-black hair and piercing cold eyes. He appeared to be in his late twenties, but he could be wrong.

"Do you need anything?" Saruhiko asked him finding the man nonthreatening. The man laughed as if his question was a joke then took started to take a few steps. You felt yourself shaking as his shoes became louder and louder to the point he was standing right behind you. Let this be a horrible dream just let it be only a nightmare, you thought hoping someone would wake you up and this would be over. But, deep down, you knew this was real.

"Let's just say I'm looking for a lost and disobedient child who ran away from home," he responded as his foot stepped on one of the glass shards. You gulped hard at his words knowing they were directly referring to you. Something had to be done, but you weren't sure what his plans were. Plus, you didn't want to get Saruhiko involved, who sat quietly unsure about how to react. So, you did the only thing you could think of. You swiftly turned around then swung a fist at his face.

But it was a dumb move on your part.

The man easily stopped your attack by grabbing your arm then swung it back to your side just before wrapping a hand around your throat. Pain shot through your neck as his grip tightened.

"Hey! Let her go!" Saruhiko shouted as he placed a few of his small knives into his hands. With his free hand, the man showed the boy the palm of his hand and instantly stopped him in his tracks. Saruhiko was frozen in mid-motion and couldn't move a muscle. He was paralyzed. You softly called his name as the man tossed you on the floor as if you were a doll. Gasping, you yearned for air as it finally passed through your lungs once more.

"How long has it been, (y/n)? Three? Four years? Honestly, I didn't think you would try to leave me knowing just what I'm capable of. You should know better." the man said as he leaned over your form. You felt your heartbeat quicken at the thought of what you've seen this man has done to many others while you lightly touched your throat.

"Good girl. You do remember. Now, tell me, why were you gone for so long?" he asked. You quickly shook your head. There was no way that you were going to tell him the answer because then that would mean a possible end to Saruhiko and Yata. The man frowned then stood up straight. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught sight of Saruhiko then turned to face him. You took a quick intake of air from the fear of what this man would do. Slowly, the man started to walk towards Saruhiko. Acting much faster, you stood up then shoved the man back as you stood protectively in front of him. The man wasn't fazed then let out a dark laugh.

"So, you made a friend, huh? That's cute. But, are you really willing to protect him from me? It's bad enough you tried running away, and now you're showing disobedience." he said then took a few steps closer. You didn't move an inch and kept a harsh gaze in his direction. The man stopped at the realization that the fear you showed earlier was gone but replaced with a raging passion.

"I'll take any punishment. I'll take any price. But, if you lay a hand on him then you're gonna have bigger problems." you said with a determination in your eyes. He frowned at this. Then it turned into a laugh.

"So, you wanna challenge me? Then go ahead and try. I'll be waiting for you where I usually do. If you don't show up then I'm coming for his head." the man said with venom in his voice. Then the front door to the bar swung open and members from Homra came walking in. The man gave you one last glare, which you returned, then faded into smoke. The spell over Saruhiko broke causing him to fall on the floor as his knives clanged against the wood.

"Hey, what's going on?" a voice said in shock at the scene. You couldn't tell who it was since your mind was focused on the last spot where you saw him disappear. This was something you tried so hard to avoid. You just wanted to escape that man's crazy grip and live freely with no strings attached. You wanted to live your own life. You just wanted to be free. Even if it meant -

"(y/n)!" Saruhiko shouted causing you to return to reality. You blinked a few times then noticed his scared and worried expression. Without realizing it, tears slowly fell from your eyes and down your face. He was shocked for a moment then pulled you into his chest. The tears wouldn't stop as you tightly gripped his shirt while he softly combed his fingers through your hair whispering reassurances.

"It's okay. He's gone now," he whispered.

This only made you cry harder.