2. Sick

Kira set her belongings in the big black wood cupboards of the room that had intricate carvings on its doors. It looked hundreds of years old yet the surface seemed new and shining. Once she was done, she took out her map and sprawled it across the table.

In the light of the candle, which was necessary even during the daytime, she began studying it, trying to figure out what route she should take next. But it appeared that no matter where she wanted to go she would have to pass through the same town from where she was just kicked out.  

She continued to wrack her brain all afternoon trying to find a solution but in vain. This sudden derailment of her journey frustrated her a lot and she wanted to be on the move as quick as possible. However, she had to admit she was grateful to have a taste of the luxury of a mansion she never thought she'd have. She could see it being the only silver lining of this whole ordeal. 

At supper, she was surprised to find herself alone yet again. However, the food presented to her was proper for supper and she began eating it with delight. Halfway through, Gouenji strolled down the stairs and approached the dining table. Seeing this, Kira stood up abruptly,

"I didn't know you were going to join me or else I would have waited. " She said, her face flushed with embarrassment.

"Don't worry about it. " He waved his hand dismissively, " I shouldn't have interrupted you. But I thought it's rude to not accompany the guest so I'm here. " With that he sat down on the opposite end of the long dining table. He then mumbled something in the butler's ear and he hurried off. A few moments later, he returned with a single wine glass on a tray that had some red liquor in it. Gouenji picked up the glass and took a deep breath, inhaling its aroma, closing his eyes in satisfaction as he did so. 

When he finally came back to his senses, his attention was redirected at Kira, who was watching it all with extreme puzzlement.

"Is that all you're going to have?" She asked, almost instinctively.

"I'm fasting tonight so all I can have is this. " He raised the glass and chuckled, "Fasting every once in a while is good for health, they say." 

"Speak for yourself, I could never do such a thing. " She shrugged and took another bite of her food, " This food is delicious. It's a shame you're not giving it a chance." She spoke between bites.

" I'm sure you're right." Gouenji humored her.

Afterwards, she went out for a walk outside in the huge garden. It was not the most well maintained garden but it wasn't entirely unkempt either. There were a couple of benches that offered a nice view of the entire place and beyond. Kira sat down on one of them and enjoyed the clear sky and the full moon's milky light washed over everything.

A few moments later, the butler arrived and began tending to some plants. Kira found it an odd time to work in the garden so she got up and approached him.

" Do you do everything here?" Her voice startled him as he hadn't noticed her presence before. But before he could say something she answered herself,"Oh, I understand. Because of that vampire rumour no one must want to work here. Silly thing! They're turning away the opportunity for some good money. Am I right?" She chirped and glanced back at the butler for affirmation. She was now feeling comfortable enough and wasn't scared and shy anymore.

The butler, however, was still stunned so he only nodded his head. 

" But why are you working in the garden at night? These are daytime tasks." She spoke again.

" I am busy during the day." He answered in short and resumed working. 

Kira waited for him to elaborate but when he didn't address it further she returned to the bench, pondering over the oddities she kept encountering in this house.