14. Sunset

It remained heavily overcast the rest of the day although it didn't rain until the evening. All through the day, Kira was staring outside but this time with more interest than her usual attraction towards the weather. She was intently taking note of something. At first, she peeked out of the large window and then she opened the main door just as a crack began peeking through there.

She didn't notice when Gouenji passed by across the opened door but when she found him sitting by the fireplace, for which he had to have walked past the open door, she panicked thinking he had burned himself again. But he seemed fine and unbothered.

"So my guess has been accurate." She thought to herself. This was what she had been thinking about all day.

She mulled over the situation all through the day and waited to act on her plan the following day.

Thankfully, the weather remained unchanged the next day as well. At breakfast, she had set the boat at the table.

"Are you going to float it today? I'm sure the puddles are ready. " Gouenji remarked casually when he saw it.

"Yes, but other than that I also have a surprise for you." She responded, piquing his interest. He tried to ask what it was but she remained tight-lipped.

It was noon when Kira approached Gouenji in the library and urged him to follow her. He got up and she took his hand guiding him. When they reached the hall she asked him to close his eyes. He was very intrigued but reserved the questions.

He heard a door opening and then some warmth on his face.

"Where are we going?" He asked slightly anxiously.

"Don't worry, just trust me, okay?" Kira assured him gently.

"Watch your steps. " she warned and then helped him down each step.

"Where are we?" He was slipping into a panic now as he was beginning to figure out where he was.

"Open your eyes. " She whispered.

Gouenji slowly did so and was immediately shocked to find himself in the middle of the garden. He gasped in panic and tried to run back into the shade but Kira caught him and stopped him from moving.

"Look! You're not hurting!" She exclaimed crisply to make him listen. That's when he realised it and was frozen in shock.

He slowly looked up at the thick black clouds that were blocking so much of the sun rays that they were rendered harmless and could no longer burn him. His mouth was left agape when he looked around the garden and the hills beyond. It may have been grey and cloudy but for him, there was enough light to make everything shine brightly.

He saved the most important sight for last and his eyes finally rested upon Kira's face who was barely able to contain herself at the success of her plans. He was overwhelmed by it all, completely lost for words and so was Kira to finally see his face clearly. She had never imagined how infinitely more beautiful his eyes were now that she could see them in daylight.

A thick drop of rain landed on Gouenji's nose, breaking their trance.

"It's raining. " He looked up in wonder, "I haven't felt the rain for hundreds of years." His voice was heavy with emotion.

One by one, raindrops kept landing on his face, at first his nose, then his cheeks, his forehead. He closed his eyes and just felt the sensation of the cold droplets, sending a shiver through his body each time. He was completely overwhelmed by the moment, he had long forgotten how it felt, how good it was.

The frequency increased quickly and before they knew it they were standing in the middle of the garden, completely drenched in rain.

"You don't realise how happy you've made me. Thank you, thank you." He muttered breathlessly as he pulled Kira in for a passionate kiss. Kira could tell how truly happy and grateful he was by the way he poured all of his emotions into his actions.