Chapter 51

A/N: Part two is now here! Rainclaw is now a warrior, and it's jumping right into the action. There is mention of blood and violence in this chapter, and may be gory. AmberClan will be getting more involved in the story from now, too.
See you in the next chapter!
~ Ember <3

four moons later

A warm, green leaf breeze gently fluttered into the warriors den, brushing at Rainclaw's fluffy pelt. Discomforted, the tortoiseshell she cat rolled over, glancing around the warriors den.

It had been two moons since she'd become a warrior, and she still hadn't adjusted to the warriors den.

There's too many cats! She let out a growled hiss as a cat trod on her tail.

"Sorry." Meadowtail's yellow peered back at her green ones as he flattened his ears and walked out the den. Rainclaw sighed, allowing her face to drop into her paws. Being a warrior meant getting up early for patrols. If she remembered, Darkwing had put her on the dawn patrol with Meadowtail, Pondmist and Mistflower.

Oh the irony. All the cats who teamed up with me on the same patrol.

Rainclaw stretched out in her new nest, careful not to accidentally swat a sleeping figure of Swoopfeather in the nest next to her. With not much enthusiasm, the she cat walked out into the clearing, seeing Pondmist. In an instant the young warrior ran over to her best friend, pressing her tail to his shoulder.

"Oh, hi Rainclaw!" Pondmist said in a flurry of words, but quickly recovered, apparently realising something. The grey tabby tom straightened out, then turned his head back towards the nursery, where he was heading.

Rainclaw, a little hurt from his gesture, took a step back.

Why's he ignoring me? The she-cat wondered, then shook her head. She shouldn't think like that. Pondmist had more duties now, being a warrior and a medicine cat helper at the same time was tough for him.

As if he'd read her mind, Pondmist turned around quickly and stated, "I'm checking on Brackenflower. She's worried that the kits might come early."

For a split heartbeat, Rainclaw was surprised by confusion. What kits? Her and her brother were the youngest cats in BirchClan, there were no queens expecting kits. Then again, she hadn't seen Brackenflower in a while, neither had the grey and ginger she-cat been sleeping in the warriors den up until a moon and a half ago.

"Brackenflower is having kits?" The sudden realisation rocked her. Rainclaw thought she was observant, but apparently not.

"Yes." Pondmist responded, his tone miffed. "I better go now."

Meanwhile, Rainclaw took a step back, watching the tom head to the nursery, before Meadowtail stepped aside him. The senior warrior bent down next to the medicine cat, muttering something in his ear. The dilute tortoiseshell guessed that Pondmist had been told that he was going on the dawn patrol, as he now returned, tail dropping, herbs flittering in his mouth.

"How was I so oblivious?" The tortoiseshell questioned as she headed off with Mistflower, Meadowtail and Pondmist in tow. She wasn't paying much attention to her surrounding, but rather troubled at the fact that Brackenflower was expecting Leopardshade's kits, and she hadn't even known.

"To be fair, you and Brackenflower don't really see the same leaf. I'm not surprised you weren't told." Mistflower spoke the air between the two cats tense. The last time Rainclaw had really spoken to Mistflower was when she'd ran back through the forest.

"Well I would've thought I would've learned sooner." Her mouth bared a short snarl towards her mentor, as Mistflower backed off, amber eyes wide with alarm.