Prologue

Prologue

"Get the damn-" she gritted, sweat dripping down her face. "Midwife!" she bit out, at last. "Get the damn midwife in here!"

It had been three years since she had married Edgar, but she still hadn't gotten used to her title as queen of Tu'uli. She'd never cared much for nobility. Or 'acting dignified.'

Speaking of dignified - where was that damn midwife?

Her normally beautiful features were twisted in pain, every movement costing more. Sparks flew across her vision, causing her to panic even more as she tried to concentrate on... anything.

What was even the point of hiring one if they wouldn't do their job properly?

Wishing she could strangle the absent midwife, her wandering gaze landed on the window, and out into the garden of the cottage.

It wasn't her first time giving birth. She had given birth five years prior to Chandra, in this very same cottage. It was peaceful and far off from the palace, and while quite small compared to her larger quarters in the palace, it was a place she could be herself and pretend she wasn't queen, even if it were only for a week.

Her arrival at the palace, with a child in her arms and everything, had stirred the royal court as they whispered and plotted on how to best get rid of her. Even the servants and the maids were still bitter about it, and the pressure she had felt to conform had been almost unbearable. But she had been in love with Edgar, and the Royal Council overrode his mother's stripping him of the crown and allowed her to keep her child.

"Your Ladyship? You called?" A quiet voice called out. She wore a simple dress.

"Some damn help with this baby would be freaking helpful."

The woman's eyes widened at the crass language, but she wisely said nothing. "Of course, my Lady."

A disheveled man with rumpled clothes and a shadow of subtle on his face ran in soon after. Even so, his presence commanded and gave off an air of regality. "Esmeralda!"

"Papa?" A young girl ran in and tugged on the man's arm. "Is Mama okay?"

He looked down at her, his gaze softening. "She's just fine. You remember how we talked about what's in her belly?"

The midwife blushed suddenly, noticing Edgar and his daughter were in the room. "Pardon me sir, but I'll have to ask you to leave. Birth is a sacred rite and males aren't permitted to see. Neither are young females, since it's much too far from their time. We don't want them getting ideas this early in their life, do we now?"

He looked helpless. "But, she's my wife..."

Her hold on his arm grew firm. "You may be the king, but I am telling you. Please do not interfere with what the gods have decreed." With that, she pushed him out the door, his daughter following. "You can come back when you hear the baby crying."

The door slammed.

The longer he looked at the door, the more forlorn he got.

He decided that being separated from his wife for ten measly minutes was no matter.

In trying to brighten up for his daughter, he decided to finally answer his daughter's earlier question. "Your mother's alright. Do you remember how we'd talk about your sister before?"

The girl brightened. "Keira! Is she here now?" She looked around curiously. "Where is she!"

Her dad laughed. "She's not here yet. Someday, when you're older, you'll understand better." He knelt down to her level. "Let's go into the other room, your mother needs her privacy. Your sister is taking a special trip from her belly to be with us." Ruffling her hair, a wide grin spread across his face when she pushed him away.