Chapter 3• NOVEMBER 12, 1956

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Segregation was a problem all over the United States. If Jane could, she would take part in every single march and movement. She had been to a couple but got sent home for the possibility of violence.

"Go on a date with me," Damien proposed. Jane rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"Look, baby, we have an obvious connection and-"

"If I say yes will you let him go?" Damien quirked his brow in affirmation. Despite Jane's loathing for her classmate, she didn't hesitate at the opportunity for the boy to let go.

"Fine, leave. We can go over the details at lunch." Damien smiled and threw the boy to the ground before turning to leave.

"See you at noon babe!" He called out. Jane waited until Damien disappeared behind the corner before rushing to the boy. The boy flinched as she reached into her pocket but relaxed when she pulled out a handkerchief.

"Are you alright?" Jane asked, wiping away blood and dirt from his small face that, would soon bruise. He only nodded with a small sniffle.

"Can you tell me what happened?" The boy nodded again.

"I bumped into him, I didn't mean to. I just..." There was a pause as the small child's eyes filled with tears.

"I'm so sorry," Jane started but the boy cut her off.

"It's not your fault ma'am. You shouldn't be sorry." Jane was taken aback yet intrigued.

"Can you tell me your name?"

"Davey." Jane repeated the name in a whisper as she cleaned the last spot of his face. Her eyes caught the watch on her wrist.

"Well Davey, you are very brave. Here," she places the pale yellow handkerchief in his small hand, "keep it as a reminder of how strong you really are. Let me know if Damien gives you any trouble again, okay? I have to go but I'll see you soon." Davey's eyes widened at the gift. He never had anything this fancy before, nor had he met a white person as nice as the teenager. Jane helped him off of the ground and they went their separate ways.

•••••

By some miracle, Jane had arrived right on time, taking a seat between Sandra and Darla. Darla looked at her friend from the corner of her eye. She turned, looking at the teacher whose back was to the class. When she was sure that the teacher wouldn't turn back around, the raven-haired girl smacked Jane in the arm.

"What in the world was that for?" Jane whispered, rubbing her injured arm. Darla gave her a look with wide eyes.

"Did you promise Damien that you'd eat lunch with him?" Jane rolled her eyes at his name.

"He was beating up some kid in an alleyway, Darla. And I never said I'd eat with him, I'll probably be in the principal's office before we get the chance," she explained. Her friend looked back at her, unconvinced.

"What are you going to do?"

"You'll see. It's not going to be good, but it will be beautiful."

•••••

By the time lunch had rolled around, Jane had more time to reflect on what she was about to do. Both her parents held up at work because it's Monday. Monday also means Yvonne is at the store and is out for most of the day, this leaves Ed and Earnest. Jane had hardly ever acted out before, much less in school. She had no idea how this situation was going to play out but she did know Ed or Earnest were the ones to pick her up. It would turn out better than any other outcome. Ed and Earnest spoiled her, usually, she wouldn't take advantage of this, but it was important.