[xxxi] WORK.

"y/n!" you stopped walking upon hearing your name and looked up from the papers you were reading, turning around to see your friends rushing towards you with incredible speed. before you could comprehend what was happening, you screamed just as connie tackled you from behind with sasha following suit causing the three to crash down to the floor.

     "ow! i can't feel my bones! get off of me!" you cried out in pain, trashing around as the two laughed at your pain. your passing colleagues shook their head at the three of you before turning their attention to their work, leaving you writhing on the ground.

     from afar, armin was busying himself with his phone as if he wasn't seeing or you and the others doing something stupid on the ground.

     "armin, help me!"

     the blond looked up, "sorry, i'm not armin. i'm crisostomo."

     "fuck you, armin! what next, you're going to be elias?! simoun?!"

     you managed to sit up after pushing the two away, gasping for air once you felt your lungs work again properly without two giants crushing down on you. the two chuckled at this and connie ruffled your already messy hair, "so, when are you going to tell us the details?" he asked with a creepy smirk, making you roll your eyes at what he was implying.

     sasha sighed out dreamily beside connie and started stroking your hair as if she was a mother, "you know, we almost died because of armin. when connie said that you and hange were on a 'midnight date' armin almost bumped to a tree at how shocked he was and we kept screaming the whole time we got here." the brunette lets out a heartwarming laugh, as if that very near-death experience was funny and a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

     armin shushed the brunette and narrowed his eyes, "hey, quiet! i don't need anyone asking me if i'm trying to get you two killed."

     before any of them could say anything, a pattern of heels clicking on the tiles caught their attention. armin froze in his place before flashing a shaky smile towards the person, "h-hello, boss."

     the said brown-haired scientist appeared in their vision and the three of you scrambled to stand up, greeting your boss with a calm smile as if you weren't fooling around just a minute ago. hange looked up from their folders and smiled back, though the three noticed it was more directed to you. though you remained oblivious.

     "springer... and others," they started with a hint of disappointment, pushing their glasses to stop it from falling off their nose, "you're late."

     their aura was serious and cold, making all the three falter. they couldn't joke their way out of it this time but you were lowkey loving hange's new aura. "uh, we almost had an accident on the way. we're sorry." armin was the first one to break out of his trance, chuckling nervously.

     "that's unfortunate," hange hummed out, "anyways, come. we have to start working on our project." the boss lead the four to a newly-constructed room at the end of the hallway, surprising them with how new and slick the new equipment were as soon as they entered.

     "what's our project again?" sasha asked the three as soon as they stepped in, lowering her voice down just in case hange heard her.

     "were you not paying attention to what they were saying yesterday?" connie raised an eyebrow.

     "you know i couldn't concentrate well when the ship is literally sailing in front of me," sasha hissed out.

     you rolled your eyes once you overheard their conversation though embarrassment still filled your head, "we're making a technology to clean up some of the dirty rivers in europe." you told the three in a blunt tone.