Cнα⅊тɛʀ 10 (edited)

Start from the beginning

‘I wonder what it’s like to live in a place like this, do people act the same way here as I do at home?’ I questioned before unstrapping the safety belt and opening the door myself as Elijah had once again ignored any gentlemanly manners. He stood next to the passenger side waiting for me to crawl out of his car. I rolled my eyes at his behaviour, straightening my dress when he spoke up.

“Stay close to me”, he said. I frowned at him as he led the way towards the entrance. I saw a valet walk from the door and as they passed us, Elijah handed his keys to the person who entered the vehicle and drove off.
‘Why would I have to stay close to him? I mean I get I’m his PA but that doesn’t mean I have to follow him everywhere. I don’t even want to stay close to this arrogant bastard’, I ranted to myself before shadowing his movements and stopping in front of the elegant white door, ‘I knew he was going to take his revenge tonight.’

“Is there any reason for me to stay close to you, Mr Cooper?” I politely asked and in return he glared at me. I glared back at him, but he didn’t reply, so I huffed and stepped away from him. ‘If I annoy him, he might end up hurting me, I still don’t know what he’s capable of doing’, I advised myself.

Elijah headed inside, forcefully pushing at the door and letting me step after him before he let it slam precariously into place. I eyed him rudely as other attendees already inside watched with shocked expressions. Moving from the foyer to the large hall-like living room I realised that the place was littered with people, all of them dressed in sophisticated brands and wealthy suits and dresses. They were all silently judging one another based off the way they watched each other’s backs, sneering when the individuals weren’t looking before upturning their noses and ignoring them. I watched their outfits and diamond jewellery glitter in the light. They all looked beautiful, not that I could relate to it, I didn’t have diamond jewellery.

Elijah kept a small distance between us as he guided us in the direction of a mid-forty-year-old man with a black and white tuxedo. The crowd surrounding us parted like the red sea as Elijah dominated the entire room. ‘Elijah was the boss, the only boss’, I deemed dutifully. The man greeted me respectfully as Elijah introduced me to the older man as his personal assistant. They then went about discussing some business ventures.

I twirled around in boredom trying to find anyone who I could recognise and have a conversation with. Noticing Mark, I moved in his direction before the crowd allowed me to catch a glimpse of a red-haired woman by his side, neatly wrapped in his arm in a protective manner. They were both talking to one another, drinking on a flute of champagne as Mark leaned in, said something, and the woman playfully laughed, hitting him on the arm. ‘Best not to disturb them’, I thought.

Shuffling back to face Elijah and the man I felt a soft hand lay on my shoulder. I turned around to see Elian standing there in a black professional tuxedo but compared to the other men who wore white shirts, Elian had chosen a black shirt and matched it to a red tie with a red handkerchief in his chest pocket. His hair messily framed his face as strands fell over his eyes giving him a bad boy type of look.

“Good to see you at the party”, he commented as he removed his hand and stepped beside me not bothering to introduce himself to Elijah or the man, “Want something to drink?”

I smiled at him appreciatively, glad to have someone beside me that I felt comfortable with before I nodded, and he waited for a server to walk past. We made small talk in between, asking about how the party was going so far and complimenting each other’s outfits. A server carried a silver plate with glasses of white and red wine and as they crossed by us Elian picked up a red glass and handed it to me before he tried speaking yet again. He was interrupted by a blonde-haired woman. She was gorgeous, wearing an off-shoulder red gown that billowed down her body like a ball gown paired with a diamond necklace and ring that dazzled in my eyes excruciatingly.