Chapter 3

"There are so fucking many, we gotta check them one by one?"

Hank was looking through the men list, who were matching the description. There definitely were many of them.

"Let's narrow it down, choosing the living place," Niles suggested.

"How much?" Hank asked.

"To north-west border of the town."

Hank did as he was told.

"No, there's no one."

"Make it a bit bigger then."

Anderson did what RK900 asked for again. Connor just looked at them resigned, as they continued this conversation he felt more and more how useless he was. So he was sitting there silently and waited. He didn't know what for yet, but he waited.

Maybe for a moment he could speak again? Maybe until he's confident enough to say anything.

"There are three of 'em," the lieutenant finally told. "Martin Wilson, Jackson Kingsford and Calvin Crowe. We probably have to pay them unexpected visit. But we're doing it tomorrow."

Connor nodded. He knew today Hank didn't want to go to their houses and ask questions.

"I have to visit the toilet,” the lieutenant announced, getting up and going in the right direction.

Connor tensed up immediately, calmness he felt, left with Hank. Niles was sitting barely one and a half meters away and didn't say anything but he made Connor feel small and not important anyway.

"You're not focused enough on this case," RK900 stated.

The other android only glanced at him with the corner of his eye and turned his head back.

"I suggest you to not make your feelings a part of your job."

Damn, he was saying the same thing to Anderson in the beginning. Now he saw it didn't work this way and hearing it made him angry. He straightened up and looked directly at Niles.

"And I suggest you to not pay attention to me. The best thing you can do is to not talk to me."

"It would make solving this case more difficult."

"Bullshit. It would make it only easier."

"Connor, listen. I know it's hard for you to..."

"Stop talking. Stop talking about me being shut down. Do you know how hurtful it is to listen to these kinds of things? You came here and straight forward said I'll lose everything I gained. That you'll replace me like some faulty toy. So, please, just shut up. I'm not gonna lose my nerves for an asshole like you."

Connor didn't expect so many words from himself. He wasn't able to talk about his feelings and now his own emotions made him say too much.

He closed his eyes and hid his face in his hands, turning back at Niles.

"I thought about what you told me yesterday."

This sentence made RK800 look at the other android. He, however, concentrated on the floor, like it suddenly became very interesting.

Was it possible he felt guilt so far? Or he just pretended, to gain Connor's trust and then stick a knife in his back.

"You're right, it's not my fault I'm like that," he continued, surprising the other android, "but I have to accept this and it's the best choice."

Connor didn't say anything, he didn't know how to react. If he was even supposed to react.

Then Hank returned and silence came back. This time more comfortable, because Connor wasn't alone with Niles. He analised files again. They didn't have anything new, they could only wait for a report from autopsy of the body found in the lake.