It Was Fate Bringing Us Together

"A temple?", Ash complained while a frown emerged on his forehead, looking at Eiji suspiciously.

They had just gotten off at the bus station next to the railway station. The main road led them directly to the temple. Since today was supposed to be a perfectly sunny day, Eiji had dragged a really grumpy Ash out of bed early to go sight-seeing with him. Ash wasn't in the best mood, of course, still practically asleep while standing, looking slowly around.

"Why? You know I don't believe in stuff like that... And it's so damn early...", he whined, stifling a yawn.

Eiji rolled his eyes at him before his golden-brown eyes burnt with determination.

"But I do believe in it! Listen, grumpy cat, this temple is the reason we've met in New York in the first place. So it will always be special to me. And it should be to you as well.", he told him, knowing perfectly well that his words would surprise Ash and arouse his curiosity. He smiled knowingly when Ash's eyes suddenly lit up with interest while looking at him.

"What do you mean?"

Eiji smirked at him in smug self-satisfaction. "You remember the lucky charm my sister gave me before coming to New York?"

"Ash nodded. "The one that was supposed to mean safety? That you showed me on the roof?"

"Yes, that one. It's from this very temple. Although that airhead got me one that said Good marriage.", Eiji still complained.

"A safety charm would have been a better choice... Maybe then you wouldn't have been hurt.", Ash said in a low voice, glancing sideways as if speaking to himself.

"Ash..."

"But", Ash added, meeting his gaze again when hearing Eiji's serious tone, "knowing your sister, she probably did it on purpose because she wanted you to be happy."

Eiji's face relaxed instantly, his eyes glowing softly in the sunlight.

"Yeah, you're right. And, as you can see, the charm has worked. I've found you after all. And I'm convinced that we'd never have met otherwise. So it turned out well in the end. The charm has brought us together! That wasn't a coincidence. It was fate, Ash!", Eiji insisted, his brown eyes boring into Ash's.

"I don't believe in – Never mind. You'll never change, always a hopeless romantic.", Ash smirked at him. "But if that's really the case, I'm glad Hana gave you that charm. Because meeting you was the best thing ever happening to me."

"I feel the same, Ash. Let's go, ok?" Eiji smiled at him and took his hand.

They walked along the main road and looked at the buildings and shops and crossed an intersection. When Ash wanted to keep walking, Eiji stopped him, motioning at the torii gate in front of them.

"That's the first gate. It's the entrance for the Gods. Since you're just a lowly human, you have to bow before entering. Like all the people around us. Ash slowly looked around, watching all the other people entering for a while.

"Whatever...", he grumbled while nearing the gate. Eiji smiled anyway and teasingly pushed his head down.

"Stop that, Eiji!", Ash complained, glaring at him while getting up again.

"It was my apology to the Gods for bringing such a smartass that questions all their traditions to the temple.", Eiji grinned.

After that, they walked along the main road and Eiji explained some of the food and local art and crafts to him.

"What's with all the soba shops here? Is that typical food around here?", Ash asked, slowly waking up when smelling all the different dishes and snacks that were being prepared here.