Chapter 2

Adley shifted uncomfortably, frustrated at being stuck in the back seat of the small car. Ris wanted to drive, and Lennon said that he had to be the one that observed the wayward one. It was always the same after a full moon. The werewolf was antsy, unable to sit still, wanting to roll around in a bed of pretty women. Adley struggled with the thoughts that he shouldn't have, didn't want and wished he could send away, at least for a few weeks.

Being trapped in a small space was enough of a distraction. When he shifted, Merissa looked back at him with a scowl.

"Adley, sit still."

He huffed, laying back against the seat.

"Yeah, the idea of tonight is to watch Lyla, not get found and shot," Lennon added.

"She's not going to kill us. We helped her get Eloise back."

"The kid is dead, Ris. That ain't getting her back."

"Do you really think that Lyla believed that she'd get her daughter back alive? Come on, be realistic. She knew that a vampire would take her down. Besides, we did get her back. Everyone in situations like this wants a body to bury. If she had no idea where Eloise was, then we'd be in trouble."

Something moved in the nearby alley. Adley turned his head and watched as Lyla emerged. Slinging the duffle bag over a shoulder, the figure dressed in pure black moved along the street with stealth. It was a new side of Lyla that the trio never thought possible.

"We should stop the carnage," Ris murmured.

"Why? She's taking out the competition. Fewer vampires in this city, more humans for our meals."

"Come on, she's killing our people."

"Like we do to her people every night, or is that different, Ris?"

"It is. She's killing for vengeance; we kill to survive. That's a huge difference."

Lennon's phone buzzed. He shifted and pulled it out of his pocket.

"Oh goodie, we've been called for a compulsory meeting with the boss man."

"Another one? Are we going to survive this one?"

"The bounty is nothing but a way of keeping us compliant. He thinks that by making us fear him, he can control us and manipulate the situation to what he wants."

"Which is Lyla."

Lennon sighed, wishing it weren't true.

With Lyla out of sight, Merissa turned over the engine and pulled out onto the street. The journey to the boss's club wasn't far. Lyla was hunting close to his club, which was a clear message to him. She wanted to make sure he knew that she wasn't a delicate flower that would wilt under pressure.

Their path to his office was a quick one. The doorman took them through a different and direct path that avoided the club full of vampires that would take them down to claim the bounty.

Chad opened the door for the trio, giving them a firm nod as a greeting.

Lennon walked in first, moving with a view of courage. He did not want to be seen as a coward. Lennon vowed to walk tall and proud regardless of how much was on his head.

Carson stood to the side of the boss man's seat, offering a mocking smile as he waited for Chad to close the door.

"Good evening," the boss man said. "How has your evening been so far? Fruitful, I hope."

Before Lennon could respond, the boss man gestured to the wall. Carson turned on the television and flicked to the newest victim.

"Because it would seem that our darling hybrid is having a rather interesting night. I have the legion searching for the dead because, at the moment, it seems easier than having them track the one who amazingly seems to disappear when they get too close."

The picture of the vampire shrank to a small size and joined the rest of Lyla's list. It was a grid of small pictures, all vampires and no specific targets. All ages, all genders. The only common thing was their species.

"She has been rather busy. Perhaps rather than calling her blue moon, we should call her red moon. All we see is a night of blood and death. I have put an alert out. The vampires of this city have been warned to be vigilant and to avoid Lyla at all costs. Now, tell me how your meeting went with her."

Lennon stared, wondering how the boss man knew that he'd met with Lyla today. His eyes slid to Carson, and he knew who had been watching him.

"I tried to get her to stop, but she's determined."

"She's a grieving mother that wants revenge. It's only natural, Lennon. I do not hold any resentment for it. I merely want it stopped. If my numbers fall, then I am susceptible to a takeover and unification with one of the bordering territories, so this city must maintain a certain number of vampires."

"Then maybe you'd like to reconsider the bounty on our heads?"

Boss man and Carson chuckled with amusement.

"Come on, you knew that we were going after him. You gave us permission to hunt him."

"Yes, but I didn't know that I was faced with a sharpshooter. You should have told me."

"I didn't know either." Lennon snapped. "The point is that you are punishing us when you gave permission to hunt."

"I did, and you are right. You know, it wasn't a death bounty. Merely to bring you into line, I suppose. It seems rather pointless now that I think about it. Alright, Lennon, as you demand. Carson, retract the bounties on their heads."

"Including Lyla's?"

"Yes, remove hers as well but ensure that the legion understands that I want her brought in here, alive and unharmed. If they bring her in tonight, I will double the reward."

With a flick of boss man's fingers, Carson was sent to his duty.

"She won't come willingly," Lennon murmured.

"I know. That's why you're going out there to find her. You will convince her to come here."

"Why me? Haven't I done enough already?"

"One would think so, but I have it on good authority that you would do anything for her. You know, the members of the legion aren't always gentle when they're bringing in a prisoner. Surely you want to get to her first, don't you?"