12: Fallen Masks

{𝒀𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝑬𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝑾𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝑺𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒄𝒉 𝑭𝒐𝒓 𝑴𝒆 𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆}~

~

The black veil of the night fell earlier than it should have over Jiya as she stared through the glass that separated her from the outside world. Standing before her bedroom's window, Jiya's brain went back and forth in an attempt to process everything that had happened so far.

That night, she didn't go to the nightclub just like what Ronnie had told her, so she tried to keep herself occupied in the hope that she would hear something from him soon. When she failed to do so, she took it upon herself to call, hopefully trying to have some explanation about his odd behavior. She got nothing in response.

Devak, on the other hand, kept calling and sending text messages, asking where had she been and why didn't she show up. Having enough of his irritation, she replied to his last text with a two-words message.

"I'm sick."

She wasn't wrong, though. Jiya was sick of Devak and everything he was doing to her, he treated her badly but, despite everything he had done, she kept quiet, praying for the day when she would have the chance to leave him and this whole place behind.

When the clock hit 3 A.M., Jiya decided to call it a night and try to get some sleep. But there she was, standing in front of the window, watching the stars twinkling in the darkness while waiting for any passing figure that could have been his.

Sighing, she stepped back as she pulled the curtains close and walked lazily toward her bed. Letting herself fall face-first on the pillows, she struggled to pull the covers from underneath her and find a comforting position in an attempt to calm her racing mind. Yet, she couldn't bring her eyes to close or her thoughts to silence, his words rang in her ears like a bell with so many questions twirling inside her mind.

"Why did he tell me not to go out that night?"

"What is he hiding from me?"

"Where is he in the first place?"

Grabbing her phone up from the nightstand, she tried his number, but as usual, it was out of service.

Seventeen times, she called him seventeen times, and every time she had the same automatic answer. She didn't care if she was being clingy. Dark thoughts started to cloud her mind and caused her heartbeat to quicken.

After a round of wrestling, Jiya won the fight against the bed and pulled herself up from the bundle of cotton she was half-buried under. Heading toward her closet, she took her coat out and put it over her nightgown, not bothering to turn the light on or examine herself in the mirror.

"That's it," she thought as she walked out of her room, her heart kept telling her that something was wrong. Her heart had never lied to her.