3: The Mysterious Tomorrow

{𝑰'𝒗𝒆 𝑺𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝑻𝒐 𝑳𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝑾𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝑴𝒚𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇}~

~

"Hey, Ronnie, the boss wants you in the meeting room," a young boy called from behind the closed door after knocking a couple of times.

"I'll be there in a minute," Khalid answered, sighing as he heard the boy's footsteps moving away.

Ronnie. That was his new name, or alias, as they liked to refer to it. Khalid had yet to get used to it, even after these years, that name still had a strange tone in his ear. He didn't think he would ever get accustomed to hearing it.

Colonel Luthra offered him an opportunity to rise again, but the price was costly. He had to shed his skin, reshape himself, and leave every year of his life before waking up in that weird hospital behind. He had to become a new person, a man with an unknown past and an unpredictable future.

Huffing a breath, Khalid got up from where he was sitting on the edge of the bed, grabbing the jacket that was discarded on a nearby chair as he looked at himself in the mirror.

That was the same face he used to see every day, but he wasn't the same person anymore.

As he put his jacket on and walked out of the room, he was surprised to see the same boy standing in the middle of the corridor.

"Come on, Ronnie," he complained, "we've been trying your phone for hours, what happened to you, for God's sake?"

Khalid unconsciously pulled his phone out of his pocket, it was off.

"Battery died," he apologetically replied, waving the phone in the air as he paced along with the boy.

"The boss will be very pissed off with you," he warned as they reached the end of the corridor, "they're having a meeting and he asked for your presence, now you're late, get ready for the troubles," he added as he pressed the elevator button with deliberate force.

"Don't be dramatic," Khalid confronted as he playfully ruffled the boy's hair and pushed him inside the elevator, stepping in behind him, "I'm sure he'll understand."

At least, he wished he would.

The boss, Ganesh Mishra, was the chief executive officer of the 'Golden Sun Trading Company,' one of the largest general trading corporations in the country. He operated in a broad array of industries, including metals, machinery, food, and real-estate. Mishra had a brilliant reputation in the market thanks to his successful investments and never-ending resources. But, at the same time, it raised a few question marks about his credibility.

Reports of missing people of a certain class had rung a warning bell as many families of the poor class suddenly disappeared. The Intelligence, by that time, received information that a human trafficking trade was taking place in more than one city, and Mishra's name was on the top of the list that was linked to that case.