It's only for a moment though.

The King's eyes don't move from hers and Adah's wolf only becomes more curious, now sauntering forward.

Adah's brows furrow, watching the silver stare at her. Her fingers nip the cloth of the table, eyes not moving. His eyes showed more than she thought they would, but she's unable to decode them. She looks down at the table, before looking up again after a moment.

The silver was still on her.

She doesn't feel embarrassed, or afraid, or terrified in this moment. She's just simply curious. She raises a brow, testing the waters. The King does nothing, but the silver becomes more intense. The man in maroon is still talking to him.

Adah looks away. The King's eyes are undecipherable, and she didn't want to test him further. Her eyes fixate easily on other things, just as curiously and just as intensely.

She doesn't notice the silver still latched onto her, now instead observing her, in the way she does to everyone.

After a while, the clearing in the middle becomes filled with people who begin to dance, as the music slows down.

The King eventually rises from his throne, face visibly annoyed, after the beta persistently insisted that he go mingles with the unmated females, to properly seek out a Queen.

He heads for thee boldest female, most definitely from a high-ranking pack, with lush brown hair. Most likely, she is the only willing girl in this room to be in such proximity of him. They move together onto the dance floor. Her lips move, engaging conversation with him. He remains with her the entire night.

Appreciative murmurs spun across the room. The female was well known, bold and able to hold such a title of an Alpha Queen. Visibly they looked quite good together too.

"Excuse me?" a strong voice approaches Adah, who pulls her eyes away from the waiter she was watching, to the man towering above her.

He was definitely an Alpha, with warm skin, and chestnut brown hair. He was good-looking, but then again, most Alpha's were.

"Hi," her voice is quiet, soft to the ears, eyes watching him carefully.

"Would you like to dance?" he's confident, and for a moment she wants to turn around, check if it was truly she that he was asking. But she's sat in front of a wall, so that would be weird.

She wants to decline. She didn't like being touched and didn't want to have to make small talk. She liked being alone.

A burning gaze hits the side of her neck, and her eyes slide over. Her true mate has spotted her finally.

His eyes are narrowed, watching the interaction between her and this Alpha carefully. The hot anger returns to Adah. With a simpering smile she accepts the Alpha's proposal to dance, watching her true mate internally fume.

The Alpha who had asked her led her to the middle, his hand respectfully on her lower back. His skin is warm, and his build is toned. Again, this wasn't an uncommon occurrence. They dance closely, her face near his shoulder, watching behind him. They make small talk, but Adah isn't concentrating fully.

Adah's concentration is on something else - she's missing all the glares of envy from women, and all the gazes of lust from men. She had risen from the corner she hid in, and once in the spotlight she stole it all, even if she didn't know it.

A smirk plays on her lips - her true mate watches her from his seat, face contorted in sick jealousy. He has no right. He rejected her. Adah winks at him, before pulling the middle finger, mouthing the words in accordance to him.

His face turns red with rage, and she watches him leave with his Luna, right out the front door.

She's too busy relishing in self satisfaction in this moment, to have realised that the silver eyes watched her get up to dance with the Alpha, till the moment her true mate stormed out of the door. The silver eyes had saw it all, and were still latched to her now.

The song comes to an end, and she thanks the Alpha who had danced with her, before turning and heading back to her seat at the table. Luna Mariah was there when she got back too, having tired herself out from all of it.

After a short while, the room settles down again, the music turning off, the King back on his throne. The clock had struck midnight now, and silence falls over everyone. The royal beta comes to the centre again, clearing his throat.

"Could all the unmated females please come and line up?" his voice is clear, and immediately the girls stand up and line in the centre. Luna Mariah smiles warmly at Adah, her eyes glittering with kindness and encouragement.

Adah isn't worried at all. Everyone saw the King dance with the bold brunette the entire night. They conversed and he made no mean to reach out to anyone else. It was clear to everyone who he was going to choose. It made perfect sense.

The King rises from his throne. His eyes have darkened consider, now not holding the sheath of silver, but now of a dull blade. He strides along the line of girls, features hauntingly beautiful, yet its his eyes that's truly the masterpiece. They are intense, yet empty at the same time, yielding no human soul.

Adah doesn't feel safe in the centre. She can't hide into the back of the room, can't hide with the safety of distance, or in the safety of a crowd. Now she is exposed, now she has eyes on her. Those eyes of envy and lust she missed before; she knows now. Her cheeks warm, and she shifts awkwardly.

She can feel the presence of the King near her - the brunette stood at the very end of the line. The hairs on the nape of her neck begin to stand, and goose bumps rise on her arms, the closer the King gets. His presence is suffocating, dark and cold. Her wolf is already submitting, belly up, throat exposed. She is of no threat, she knows this male is who they bow to. She cannot be curious so close to him.

The King is just by her now, and a knot in her stomach forms as he stops directly in front of her.

There is no hesitation in his actions, he eludes confidence. He knows what he's doing. Adah's head fills with confusion, unable to feel because suddenly she is feeling too much. She can't grasp anything but the grey in his eyes. She can see his intentions, that much he will show her.

Her heart drops. She didn't think she was on his radar at all, never considered this. She wasn't ready to be mated to someone else. She didn't want this. She wanted to be forever alone. This male was more wolf than man - how was she meant to deal with that? She hadn't even heard him speak.

"Fuck," she murmurs softly, yet it's loud enough for all the nearby wolves to hear, and gasp. The King makes no effort to respond, only arching a brow - one that mirrored her own actions not too long ago.

The room is stunned, now aware of what the unspoken decision was, this was unexpected. He had danced with the brunette all night, and only her, and had conversed with only her.

Sure, he may have danced with the brunette, but Adah was the only person who truly piqued his curiosity long enough. His eyes couldn't stop following her after that initial clash, and he wasn't sure exactly why. His wolf pestered him violently about it.

Adah was the one. His canines extend, and sink into the curve of her neck, immediately marking her.

A/N - thoughts?