Chapter 7: The Hiatus

"He dreams of a house inside the woods,
Very lovely with lots of flowers growing,
He comes back after a hunt; wild geese on his hands.
He scolds himself, why didn't I catch a wild pig? I bet she'll get angry at me.
He approaches the house expecting that she'd greet him with kisses.
He knocks at the front door but he sees her instead at their backyard.
There are tears in those beautiful blue eyes of hers.
She calls for their child in half broken sobs
She calls for their child to never leave her"

.

.

.

She twirls her light brown curls around her fingers. She props her elbows on her wooden desk, staring at the vanity ahead, admiring her looks. Later she lets out a sigh, a big one. Why is she being deported? She hated that her superiors had to pass their work on her, if she had known better, then she wouldn't have taken up the military police, maybe being part of the garrison division was much better. She snorts.

"Must you be really bring five suitcases?"

She looks at her partner's direction with a bored expression. Her catty eyes narrowing at him. He raises an eyebrow. She yawns.

"I have lots of clothes, got a problem with that?"

He sighs, "Whatever Hitch. We'll be leaving in an hour or so..."

He leaves the door open wherein she watches his form fade through corridor. She sighs again to herself and looks at her vanity mirror, to her packed bags, then back to her mirror again. Her gaze travels to the reflection of the upper bunk of her shared double deck bed. She notes the clutter of clothes; white sweatshirts... only used for a while. She thinks of her former roomate. What happened to her? She never came back. Ever since the female titan destroyed Stohess, where is she? Is she dead?

"Ahhh! So bothersome!" Her voice booms around the quiet room, shattering its silence, "Take care of the room while I'm gone, Annie! I have a lot of things to do. Y'know, if you're here, I would never leave this district ever."

She talks to the thin air.

She receives no response.

.

.

.

He has been out for three days. Three days of staying at bed. Eyes closed, but his muscles are tense. For the first two days, Armin stays by his bedside, alternating between Mikasa and himself. He starts to worry, Mikasa is recovering faster than his chocolate haired friend. It seemed that he has no plans of waking up.

He reads to him the newspaper everyday even though he knows the news is irrelevant, and has nothing to do with the recent events that haunted his friend. The only headline that mattered was that one small article in the lower part of the broadsheet which read: "Female titan: finally captured by the military police."

He reads the line...

"... Just yesterday, Gov. U. Krause finally captures the notorious titan shifter who allegedly destroyed Stohess district a year ago. The female titan is held responsible for the deaths of five renowed government officials namely T. Scheider, R. Mayer, R. D'clein, W. Beck and D. Thomas as well as countless innocent civilians that day. The culprit is now held under the special unit force of the military police. The date of her trial at Sina is not yet announced..."

Armin noted the one sided-ness of the article, he remembered the burned down village, and the mass grave that haunted his senses. Where is the report on that? A secret by the government?