Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

The morning air was crisp, only the sounds of horses galloping across the meadow could be heard.  The large party leaving Castle McKenna was quiet, most were feeling the tension of what was to come in the following days.

Grant peered over his shoulder once more to look back at the looming form of Castle McKenna.  He could still see Ian, his Da and sister-in-laws on the battlements watching the party leave.     It was a tearful goodbye this morn, it was hard for Grant to watch Andrew say farewell to his family.   Emma and Roslyn took Andrew leaving as well as can be, but the twins broke his heart though.  They sobbed uncontrollably until Ian and Angus brought them to their nursery.

Grant tried once again to have Andrew remain back with his family but Andrew wasn't listening to him.  He was determined to stand by his brother and protect his family at all costs.   Andrew knew that Emma and his bairns were in good hands while he was gone, he wouldn't worry over them.  Ian had instructions to send a messenger immediately if they were needed to return.

Gavin let the party with his McGregor soldiers, the McKenna's filed in behind.  The woman rode in the middle of the party, a small litter was made for Keely and her wet nurse.  Evelyn riding her own mare not far from her daughter, Kathryn riding beside her sister-in-law, Grant and Andrew not far from them as well.   The women were well guarded with soldiers surrounding them.  

If it was up to Grant, he would have stayed secure behind the walls of Castle McKenna for several more days before making a journey to the Lowlands.   But from the pressure of his wife's insistence to return home and deal with her Da, was why he conceded.  She wanted to go home, deal with the situation and then return back to the Highlands.  Grant was hoping to make Laird McGregor wait even longer for his daughter to arrive, he wasn't about to answer to anyone but his Da and Andrew.   Even Ian couldn't make him do his bidding.

The sounds of hoof beats closing in next to Grant's stallion brought him out from his trance as he saw a frown upon Andrew's face.  Grant frowned back.

"Ye are lost in your thoughts, Grant?" Andrew questioned him, concern in his eyes.

"Aye," Grant nodded.  "Tis wanting this over with so that we can return to the Highlands as quickly as possible.  I knew we had to travel back, but twas wishing under better circumstances."

"Perhaps a fortnight and we shall be home again Grant," Andrew reassured his brother.

"Aye, I dinna wish to get stuck in the Lowlands when winter approaches," Grant sighed as he looked over that Kathryn smiling and talking with Evelyn.  He wife was all the mattered to him now, her happiness was what mattered the most to him.

"Nae," Andrew replied.  "We will be long gone before the time comes, I willna winter at McGregor Castle."

"Aye, if need be," Grant said looking concerned.  "We will journey to Castle Campbell and remain there until it is safe to travel back to the Highlands."

"Aye, I would rather spend my time with Robert and Elise then with the McGregor's," Andrew frowned again.  Grant just nodded in agreement.

They rode in silence for a bit, scanning the surrounding area, trained as warriors they both were, protecting what meant the most to them.   The first stop was for a midday meal.  The women needed to rest, Keely needed to be tended to as well.  Emma had the kitchen maids up most of the night packing enough food for the three day journey to the lowlands.  Almost every saddle bag was packed with cheese, bread and dried meats.