Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Grant made his way down to the great hall to break his fast.  A grin on his face, he slept well last night.   He finally had the same dream, the dream that haunted him for so many years, but this time the dream was different.  Kathryn was clearly visible in this dream.   He felt alive, he felt sated, but he also felt nervous.  He would ask Gavin for her hand this morn, he just hoped that Gavin would approve of their match.

He noticed a commotion on the dais, everyone seemed to be laughing or smiling and then Grant noticed why.   Lady Evelyn was on the dais, Gavin's arms around his wife, Emma face full of happiness.  She must be feeling better.   It still amazed Grant how much alike the two sisters were.   Elise looked like them as well, but was shorter and has darker red hair.  Emma and Evelyn have the same hair colour and are about the same height, both of them with the Campbell violet eyes that his niece Roslyn inherited from her Mother.

"Lady Evelyn," Grant murmured as he took her hand and kissed it.  "Tis good to see you well."

"Grant," Evelyn smiled happily up at him.  "Tis good to be here and thank ye, I am much better now.  I owe my thanks to my sister."

One of the twins came over to them now, he wrapped his arms around Grant's legs and looked up at him.   "Uncle Grant, I hungry," his nephew said to him grinning.    Grant went down and scooped him up and turned his face to the side to figure out which one that he had.

"Aye Donald," Grant hugged him close.  "Tis famished I am as well.   Your Da tis busy talking to Uncle Ian, for I will feed ye."

Alex came over to them now and also held up his arms for Grant to carry him too.   "Ye as well," Grant grumbled looking down at Alex's toothy grin.   "I canna carry ye both, come Alex, ye can sit next to me and Donald."

Alex didn't take too kindly of not being carried and started to cry.    When he noticed Evelyn standing their smiling at him, he held his arms out to her.   She went to pick him up when Gavin intervened.   "Evelyn, ye are still weak, I will carry the lad," Gavin said as he bent low to pick up Alex.   Alex looking unsure of going with Gavin, for he had only met him a couple of days ago, looked to his Uncle Grant for support.

"Ye will go with Uncle Gavin, Alex," Grant said ruffling his hair as he walked by.   "He will care for ye."  Trusting his Uncle, Alex went willingly into his other Uncle's arms.

The meal was loud and full of stories and laughter.   Grant sat across from Gavin and Evelyn, they spoke of anything and everyone.  Grant really enjoyed their company and would welcome the McGregor's as his kin.   He and Gavin were of the same age and always had something to discuss.

Gavin kept turning back towards the stairs and then back to his meal.  "I dinna see Kathryn this morn," he said turning towards his wife.  "Did ye see her Evelyn?"

"Nae, no this morn," Evelyn replied in-between eating.  "Perhaps she is still abed."

"I will go and see where she is," Gavin stated rising from his stool.

"She is fine," Grant said stopping Gavin from going.  "I sent a maid to her this morn, I ordered her a bath and a tray for her room."   He told them nervously.   Donald was still on his lap, eating his bread with honey, his sticky fingers clutching Grant's shirt.

Gavin looked confused at what Grant just said, Evelyn just smirked and look amused.  "Twas kind of ye then Grant," Gavin mumbled out with Alex still in his arms as he took his seat once again.

Grant just shrugged his shoulders.   "She danced verra much last eve, I thought that she would have wished for a bath."  He wanted to end this conversation here at the table because if they were to continue, he would prefer privacy.   Grant sensed that it wasn't just Gavin and Evelyn listening in to their conversation.