Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

The morning air was crisp, autumn was going to settle in soon.   The leaves on the trees have already changed in colour and have begun to fall.    The journey home would take a day longer than normal, with Grant's recent injury, stopping needed to be taken frequently to stretch his legs.  All of Kathryn's trunks were packed as well and they also would take longer to take back with them.  

It was a tearful goodbye this early morn.   Grant knew that Kathryn would become upset saying goodbye to her brothers, Mother and remaining family.    As much as she wanted to go home to her new home, the McGregor's were always going to be her family.    She would miss them terribly but promises were made to visit soon and the invitation from them to visit was also extended.

They were a large party all travelling together.  King Jamie and his elite guards, plus Robert and all the Campbell soldiers, McKenna's with their large party.    They all parted ways just hours ago when the Campbell's headed South, the McKenna's to the North and the King continued to head West.

Grant had asked Kathryn if she wished to go to court for a while, but she declined and told King Jamie that perhaps one day they would come for an extended stay.   But for now, she wanted settle into her new home and start to build her life with her husband.

She was fast asleep in his arms now.   The McGregor's had a large celebration last eve in honour of Grant and Kathryn's marriage.   Gavin wanted for his sister to be happy and to show her how much the McGregor's were happy for her as well.    The celebration lasted late into the evening and Grant knew that Kathryn didn't sleep well knowing that goodbyes were inevitable in the morning.

As the towers of Castle McKenna came into view, Andrew sent several soldiers off ahead to alert the castle of their arrival.   They were still several hours away, so there was plenty of time to have everyone assembled.

"Twill be good to be in our own bed," Andrew stated as he slowed down his stallion to ride beside Grant.  "Twill be good to be back in the Highlands."

"Aye," Grant said agreeing.  "Twas an adventure that I dinna expect, tis good to be home."

"Och....twas expected that Callum twould be angered perhaps of the marriage, but nae like so," Andrew frowned.

Granted just nodded and looked over his shoulder at Kathryn.   She was riding her own mare now, she hasn't spoken much the last couple of hours.

Andrew followed Grant's gaze and noticed too that Kathryn wasn't herself.

"She dinna feel well?" Andrew asked his brother.

"I'm nae sure," Grant replied still looking over at Kathryn.   "After we arrive home, I'll see to a bath for her and this eve, I'm sure that she will sleep well."

Grant made good on his promise and had a bath drawn in their chamber.   They slept in later because Grant was up late and Kathryn wanted to wait for him.   The McKenna men all met after their evening meal and filled in Ian and Angus what had happened at Castle McGregor.  To say that Angus wasn't angered, was an understatement.   He thinks that Callum's dungeon punishment isn't sufficient but King Jamie ordered it, it would have to do.

It was morning now and Grant rushed over to the stairs to help the nursemaid with the twins.  She quickly explained to Grant that Andrew and Emma requested to break their fast in the privacy of their chamber and Grant completely understood.

"Good morn," Grant said as he picked up Alex and took Donald's hand leading them off to the table where most of the family already was seated.   

Ian came to meet them and picked up Donald along the way and brought him to sit with him and Jenny.   Roslyn and Fiona were already seated by their Grandda, engaging him in an animated conversation that kept a wide grin upon his face.