Chapter 10: Meeting

Demi's POV

I walk down the last few steps thinking Joe would release my hand so his mom didn't see, but he held on tight comforting me. When we're down there, we walk into the kitchen where most of Joe's family is. Joe squeezes my hand in comfort, what if they didn't like me?  

" Hey guys. " Joe says making everyone turn our direction, everyone saw me and raised their eyebrows but not in a scary way like Joe's mom did.  

" Who's this? " An older man says, I'm guessing he's Joe's father.  

" This is Demi. " Joe says smiling, everyone silently says hi.  

" Demi this is my dad, little brother Frankie who you have already have met, my older brother Kevin with his wife Danielle. Then my mom who you've also met, and where's Nick? " Joe says gesturing to each family member looking confused at the end.  

" Nick should be here soon, he's just running a little late. " Joe's mom says as she cuts up vegetables on the counter.  

" Oh ok, I was wondering if Demi could stay for dinner? " Joe says grinning, I'm glad his hand still holds mine, it's helping my nerves.  

" Of course. " Joe's mother says smiling, she seems to be a little curious as she sees our hands intertwined but looks calm about it.  

" Well it's nice to meet you Demi. " says Joe's father who smiles wide, I'm not sure if the family liked me or not yet.  

" It's nice to meet you too. " I say trying out my confidence, I feel a little uncomfortable standing here since everyone is just staring at me.  

" Well I'm gonna show Demi around a little. " Joe says thankfully, I don't know why, but I'm nervous around his family. Everyone starts to talk again as Joe leads me out a door that goes to the backyard, even that's big. His backyard had a pool that is currently covered up for the snow, there's a mini playground set in the corner of the yard, and plenty of grass to run around on. I've always dreamed of a backyard like this when I was little. In the other corner there are big cages that have two dogs, a bulldog and a golden retriever.  

" Come on, I want you to meet someone. " Joe says leading me over to the cages, we get there and Joe opens the door for the dogs to run out. They start to run out playing with each other, which is funny since the retriever is a lot bigger then the bulldog.  

" So the bulldog is mine, he's Winston. And the the golden retriever is Elvis who is Nick's dog. " Joe says smiling, the bulldog then comes running to him. Joe then crouches down and picks up Winston, I pet him and he licks my hand.  

" What a sweet dog. " I say petting him some more, one more thing i've always wanted.  

" Yeah, I love him to death. " Joe says petting him too then setting him down to run and play again.  

" Do they just stay out here? " I ask thinking that would kind of suck since of the cold and snow.  

" No, we just put them out here to get some fresh air when it's not that cold. The suns out right now, so they can handle it pretty well. " Joe says smiling picking up a squeaky toy that he then throws for the dogs to chase.  

" Cool. " I say taking Joe's hand back, he smiles and squeezed mine in response. He then starts to lead me over to the swing set, theres a tire and a swing. Joe swipes off the snow on the swing and sits down, he then motions me to come to him with his hand. I sit on his lap and he says "Now that's better. " 

" We probably should be careful, I don't think your mom likes me that much. " I say finding his hands that are around my waist , he really did make me feel like the only girl in the world. My urge for him to hold me all day left, I hope he never lets go of me.  

" She just has to get used to you first, then she'll lighten up. " Joe says playing with my fingers again making me smile, he gently swings back and forth holding on to me. When was this dream going to end, it's too good to be true.

Nick's POV

I walk into the house wiping my boots off on the mat, I then walk in to find most of my family talking in the kitchen. The only person missing was Joe, I wonder where he could be.  

" Hey guys. " I say giving my mom a quick kiss on the cheek, everyone smiles and says hey.  

" Where's Joe? " I ask setting my jacket on the coat hanger right outside the kitchen. Everyone smiles and then slightly laughs. 

" What? " I ask confused, what was so funny? 

" Joe's in the backyard smooching with a girl. " Kevin says with a smile on his face, why was this funny? 

" Their not smooching, just...well holding onto each other I guess. " my mom says with a smile on her face, everyone smiles and looks out the window. I go closer to the window and see Joe with a girl on his lap sitting on the swing set. I can't see her face because their backs are turned from me, I smile and then walk back to where everyone else is.  

" Two weeks we're here and he already has a girlfriend? " I say smiling, I think that's why everyone's laughing. This isn' the first time. 

" I think it's a new record for him. " My dad says smiling, everyone slightly laughs.  

" There's something different about this girl though, he acts different with her. I think he really likes her. " my mom says gazing out the window looking at the two. I wonder if I knew the girl.  

" Yeah, any other girl he wouldn't want us to meet so soon. " Kevin says eating a grape from a bowl that was on the counter.  

" Well I'm going to go upstairs for a minute. " I say starting to walk upstairs.  

My mom then yells after me, " Dinner is on in five! " 

" Ok! " I say grinning, I love the happiness in the family. Lately we've been depressed since the move, but looks like things are lightening up. I'm glad.