Chapter 7: Talking

Demi's POV

I walk into the diner ready to have lunch with Nick, I was a little scared because I didn't know how he felt about me. If he just wanted to be friends, that would be amazing. But if he wanted to be more, well things were not going to go so well. I notice him sitting at a booth in the far back, I start to walk over trying not to bump into the busy waitresses. The diner was packed with people, which is odd because every time I come here it's alway so quiet. He notices me walking to him and he smiles, I sit down across from him returning a smile.

" Hey. " Is the only thing I can think of to say, I hope this isn't awkward today.

" Hey. " he replies smiling, he seemed nervous. Why though? I sit there in silence trying to think of something to say, I'm not too good at being social. Luckily a waitress comes over breaking the silence. 

" Can I get you something to drink? " She asks smiling, I swear I recognize her from somewhere. I look down at her name tag and it reads ' Selena', I think she might be in my art class. She has her hair up in a ponytail which is different for me, since she always wears her hair down at school.

" I'll take a coke. " Nick says smiling as the Selena smilies and writes it down on her notepad.

" And how about you? " She asks looking at me, I reply with " I'll just take a water with a lemon in it. "

" All right, i'll be right back with that. " She says smiling and walking back to the kitchen. I look over at Nick who is still gazing at me.

" So, how's your day so far? " He asks.

" Great. How about yours? " I reply hoping we'll find a way to get past the small talk.

" Awesome. " he says with enthusiasm.

" That's nice. " I respond slightly awkwardly picking up the menu to see what I'd like to throw up later.

" I'm just going to go right out and say it, I want to get to know you better. " He says smiling with major confidence.

" Ok, what do you want to know? " I ask confused, no one ever wanted to get to know me better, well other than Joe last night. The Selena then comes back with our two drinks, she then asks " Do you guys know what you want? "

" Yeah, I will get Turkey sandwich without the onions. What would you like Demi? " Nick responds giving Selena the menu in his hands.

" I'll take the House salad, thanks. " I say giving her my menu, she smiles and walks away with our order.

" Well I'd like to know about your interests. " He says jumping right back into our conversation, he then leans back and waits for my answer.

" Well, I like to play guitar, piano, and sing. " I say smiling, this reminds me of Joe and I's conversation last night.

" Really? Me too. " He says with great enthusiasm, really? That's weird, thats what Joe had said last night too. 

" Wow, that's cool. " I say as my response a little shocked.

" And I like to play drums. " He adds smiling, Joe, Nick, and I were into the same thing?

" Sweet. " I say taking a sip from my drink, the water feels refreshing as it slides down my throat.

" Yeah, my two other brothers and I are in a band. " He says taking a sip from his drink too.

" Wow that's awesome, what's the name of the band? " I ask curiously, guys in bands were hot.

" Well we are still deciding between a few names. The first one is weird, but Sons of Jonas, or Connect three, or Jonas Brothers. " He says smiling nodding his head, he seemed happy to share it with me. 

" Let me guess, your last name is Jonas? " I ask chuckling softly, he laughs too even though it's not that funny. 

" Yeah, if you didn't notice. " He says smiling, throughout the lunch we talked about each of our interests, his band, and other stuff. It was nice to get to know him, he really was a nice guy. Something told me though that I was betraying Joe by being here, did Nick like me more than friends? Did he think this was a date?  I hope not, or else i'm in trouble. And if I don't know how he feels, then how will I let him down easy?

" Well I better get going. " I say as we walk out to the parking lot, I then continue with " Thanks for lunch. "

" Your welcome...can we do this again maybe? " He asks smiling, was he asking for a date or just to hang out?

" Sure, that would be fun. " I say not knowing what else to say. 

" Cool, I'll call you. " He says, I can see his breath in the cold. I clench on to my jacket feeling even colder, at least it wasn't snowing at the moment.

" Sounds good, see you later. " I say looking back at him as I start to walk off, but then he stops me. He then kisses me on my cheek surprising me. 

" See ya. " He says before walking away, what the heck? So that answered my question, he liked me for more than friends. What was I going to do? I start to walk not knowing where I should go, usually on Sundays I just take a walk with my guitar. I sometimes play it in the park since no one is usually there on Sunday. I can't get my mind off the kiss Nick just gave me, at least it was only on the cheek. How am I going to break it to him that I was in love with another? Should I tell Joe about this? I start to walk back to my house which isn't too far from here, I needed some alone time with my  guitar.