16

"We won!" Jack screamed into the crowd, and everyone went ballistic. I screamed with happiness, and without even thinking, jumped into Race's arms, throwing my legs around his waist. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed me giddily. In front of everyone. We didn't even notice all of the people staring until we realize the noise had died down some. Race set me down quickly, and I stepped back, my face burning about a hundred different shades of crimson. I looked at Jack, unsure of what to say, when his face broke into a grin. "Ah, what the hell? Go ahead."

Race tapped me on the shoulder, and as I turned, he leaned down and pulled me into a kiss. The crowd erupted into cheers and whoops again, and some of the 'Hattan newsies threw their hats on stage at us. I finally pulled away from him with a smile, unable to look away. That's when Elmer's cap hit me in the leg, distracting me. I threw it back at him with a laugh, while Jack introduced someone very special.

"And    now    I'd    like    to    introduce    my    own    personal    pal,    Governor    Theodore    Roosevelt    himself!!!" He called, and Governor Roosevelt stepped out of the doors, joining us on stage.

"Each    generation    must,    at    the    height    of    its    power,    step    aside    and    invite    the    young    to    share    the    day.    You    have    laid    claim    to    our    world    and    I    believe    the    future,    in    your    hands,    will    be    bright    and    prosperous." He turned to Jack, resting a hand on his shoulder. "And    your    drawings,    son,    have    brought    another    matter    to    bear. Officers, if you please," he signaled, and a team off officers approached with...

"Crutchie!" I shrieked, running to my friend. The newsies all crowded around him, chattering excitedly as hugs went around.

"Heya fellas. Heya, Quick. Didja miss me?" He grinned and a chorus of yeses and of courses went around the group. "And    lookit    what    I    got    yis:    straight    from    The    Refuge." Crutchie announced proudly, before he, too, signaled in officers.

"It's Snyder the Spider!" Race called, and sure enough, a buncha bulls hauled Snyder towards us.

"He ain't lookin' so tough now, is he?" Mush laughed, and we all teased Snyder before Crutchie did the honors of slapping the handcuffs on him.

"You're joking." Snyder groaned.

"Yeah, and you'll be laughin' all the way to the pen, 'little man'." Crutchie sneered, giving Snyder a swift kick in the behind. "So long, sucka'!"

"I    can't    help    thinking...    if    one    of    your    drawings    convinced    the    governor    to    close    The    Refuge,    what    might    a    daily    political    cartoon    do    the    expose    the    dealings    in    our    own    government    back    rooms?" Pulitzer asked after taking a look at Jack's drawings. "What    do    you    say,    Teddy?    Care    to    have    this    young    man's    artistry    shine    a    lantern    behind    your    closed    doors?"

"Don't    sweat    it,    Gov.    With    the    strike    settled, we probably    should    be    hitting    the    road." Jack told him, putting an arm around me. I cringed internally, not knowing what to say.

"Don't    you    ever    get    tired    of    singing    that    same    old    tune?    What's    Santa    Fe    got    that    New    York    ain't?    Tarantulas?" Davey asked, stepping forward with Katherine.

"Better yet," Katherine reasoned, "what's New York got that Santa Fe ain't?"

"New York's got us." Crutchie pointed out. "And we're family."

"Jack..." I began, pulling away slowly. "I think... I wanna stay in New York." I told him, gesturing to all of the people watching. "Look at what we did. Look at these people that risked they's lives for us. I dunno nobody like that in Santa Fe." Jack looked at me thoughtfully as the circulation window opened back up.

"Well    don't    just    stand    there,    you've    got    a    union    to    run.    Besides,    didn't    someone    just    offer    you    a    pretty    exciting    job?" Katherine asked teasingly, and Jack looked around at everyone, still unable to decide. "And    you've    got    one    more    ace    up    your    sleeve..."

"Oh yeah? What's that?" Jack asked, and Katherine put her arms on his shoulders.

"Me. Wherever you go, I'm right there with you." I loved Katherine, but the idea of her taking my place with Jack scared me.

"For sure?"

"For sure." Katherine responded, and Jack pulled her in and kissed her, causing the crowd to go wild once again. I cheered for my brother, pushing any negative thoughts out of my mind. As long as he was happy, so was I.

"So Jack," Dave offered. "Are you in or are you out?" Jack strutted up to Weisel with a proud grin and slapped two quarters on the counter.

"My sista and I'll take the usual."