12

We arrived at Medda's theatre to see crowds upon crowds of newsies as we made our way over to the giant sign that read MANHATTAN. I stood in awe next to Race and Les, unsure of what to do. "We did all'a this..." I whispered in awe. "Us. A bunch'a dirty little newsies, we g-" Race wrapped an arm around me.

"Correction: you and ya brudda did all'a this." He told me, hugging me into his side. I gratefully returned the hug, burying my face into his chest, taking in his warm smell of the streets and cigars. Doesn't sound like an ideal smell, I know, but it was Race's. I loved it. "Hey, you'd betta get up on the stage, huh?" I nodded, and Race leaned down and kissed me quick. "Tell 'em good." He whispered, and I hurried backstage with Davey and Medda while Les sat next to his date, Sally. Cute girl.

"Welcome, Newsies of New York City. Welcome to my theater and your revolution!" Miss Medda cried, giving me a subtle nod from center stage. The newsies all screamed and cheered as Davey and I made our way on stage.

"Let's hear it for Spot Conlon and Brooklyn!" Davey cried, hoping to stall everyone 'til Jack arrived. Spot stood up in his seat and pounded his chest.

"Let's see what Pulitzer has to say to ya now, huh?" He yelled, and everyone went ballistic. That's when Les's date mentioned Jack.

"Yeah, where is Jack?" Everyone began asking the question, rippling through the room. Davey took a couple steps back, looking to me for help. I just shrugged before turning to the crowd.

"Jack will be here!" I assured them. "But 'til then youse stuck with his little sista, guys. Sorry 'bout that!" I laughed, and the other newsies did, too, until I saw Spot. Instead of laughing, he just stared. Not mean, not scary, just... looked at me.

"Newsies of New York..." Davey called out, and the room fell silent. "Look at what we've done! We've got Newsies from every pape and every neighborhood here tonight. Tonight you're making history." The newsies cheered again, whooping and screaming. "Tonight we declare that we're just as much a part of the newspaper as any reporter or editor!"

"We're done being treated like kids. From now on, they gonna treat us like they's equals!" I yelled, and the room erupted once again. That's when a voice caught everyone's attention in the back of the theatre.

"You wanna be treated like adults? Maybe start actin' like one. Don't just run ya mouth. Make some sense."

"Ladies and gents, Jack Kelly!" I yelled, and Jack made his way up to the stage as everyone chanted his name. I looked up to see Katherine, that reporter lady, up in the balcony. I gave her a small wave when she looked at me, which she reluctantly returned. I subtly gave her a thumbs up, asking if she was okay, but she just looked away. She looked ashamed of somethin'.

"All right. Pulitzer raised the price of papes without so much as a word to us. That was a lousy thing to do. So we got made and let 'em know we ain't gonna be pushed around." The newsies all cheered. " So we go on strike. Then what happens? Pulitzer lowers the price so's we'll go back to work! And a few weeks later he hikes the price back up again, and don't think he won't. so what do we do then? And what do we do if he decides to raise his price again after that?" I looked over at Davey, and he returned the same confused expression.

"Jack," I started, "what are yo-"

"Let me finish." He interrupted, holding a hand out at me. His eyes didn't leave his feet for a moment. "Fellas, we gotta be realistic. We don't work, we don't get paid. How many days can you go without makin' money? However long, believe me, Pulitzer can go longer." The newsies all started to boo loudly, despite my attempts to calm the crowd. "But I have spoken to Mr. Pulitzer and he has given me his word: if we disband the union, he will not raise prices again for two years. He will even put it in writing. I say we take the deal. Go back to work knowing that our price is secure. All we need to do is vote 'NO' on the strike. Vote 'NO'!" Jack yelled, and I saw a familiar man holding a wad of cash. The guy worked for Pulitzer.

"So that's what this is about?" I demanded, grabbing Jack's arm and pulling him back. The newsies quieted, unsure of what I was talking about.  "You let Pulitzer bribe you? What the hell, Jack?!" The newsies began to boo him again.

"Y/N, you don't know what w-"

"No, please, I know plenty. Yeah the newsies are ya family, huh? Don't really seem like it now!" My voice began to rise, and Jack kept trying to leave, but I kept my firm grip on him. "Youse just gonna chicken out? Leave us all? We was willin' to follow you to our deaths, Jack, and what now? Youse sellin' us out for a little bit'a cash?"

"Y/N, I'm warnin' ya, stop it, or-"

"Or what, Jack? See, the difference between you and me is that I don't stop. I would die for these boys, I would die for you, but you obviously-"

"I said, STOP!" Jack yelled, shoving me to the floor. The theatre fell silent, and I could hear newsies rustling, getting ready to go after him, and I could see in Jack's eyes for just a second that he regretted it before he walked out the door. Race jumped up on stage to help me, but Davey beat him to it.

"Thanks." I mumbled quietly, before running out the door.