13

I sat in the dark, my back pressed against cold metal rails of the gates. I closed my eyes and heaved a heavy sigh, when footsteps approached. "Y/N-"

"Go away, Jack." I didn't even look up. I didn't have to. Jack's the only one that knows I come to the cemetery when I'm upset. Our mom was buried here, a simple headstone marking her spot, nothing but her name on it. It was all we could afford then. It allowed me to be closer to her when I was hurting.

"Y/N, I never meant to hurt you." He whispered, sitting down next to me.

"Then why'd you take the deal?" I asked accusingly.

"He was gonna throw you in the Refuge, Y/N. Do you really think I want you in there? It'd kill you." I slowly looked up at my brother. The Refuge destroyed my brother. I never knew what it was really like on the inside, but Snyder was after me because I used to visit Jack at his window. Every night I went and tried to find a new way to bust him out. Of course, over the years, Snyder found more reasons to lock me up, but it didn't help that I was a Kelly. Jack had nightmares for a month after he escaped, but he didn't like to talk about it.

"Jack..." I whispered.

"Please forgive me, Y/N. I never meant to hurt you...." He begged, resting his forehead on my shoulder.

"Jackie. I forgive you." I hugged Jack tightly, relieved that my brother and I were okay again. "I need you to promise me something, first, Jack."

"Anything."

"You need to be okay with Race and me bein' together. He cares about me, and I care about him." I bargained, and Jack looked up at me, slowly nodding.

"I know... it's gonna take getting used to, Y/N, but you aren't a little kid anymore. I know that." It was then that I noticed Katherine standing nearby, and I looked at my brother.

"What's Katherine doin' here?" I asked, and Jack sighed.

"Well, we have an idea, but we need your help..."