|| Meredith Stepien & Reader ||

You smiled, closing your laptop. You had just been offered a job with a company called Starkid to be their technical director for a show they were putting on called Firebringer. Apparently their previous one was fired, so they were desperately looking for a new one so they didn't have to do it themselves.

You didn't know Starkid- it didn't even ring a bell, but you were happy to work with them anyway. They seemed really cool even just from the exchanged emails.

You wanted to get started right away, so immediately you told them you were gonna be there early in the morning on the day of their next show. That way you'd be able to see how everything operates and get a feel of it all before you help out during the actual show.

The morning of the show you were feeling both stressed and excited. It was cold, despite the fact that it was a summer morning, though it couldn't have been any warmer than 15 Celsius (59 Fahrenheit).

You arrived at the theatre by 8am, almost 12 hours before the actual show began.

"Hi, my name is Y/N, I'm here as the technical director," You introduced yourself to the person who approached you as you stepped into the theatre.

"Oh thank god," They sighed in relief. "I'm Nick, one of the writers of this show, and I could not be more relieved that you're here," he put his hand on your shoulder. "Though Corey will be more relieved than I am, he's been stressing out for days. He'll be so happy to see you here,"

"I'm so glad I could help!" You smiled cheerily.

"Oh there he is now," Nick waved over at Corey. "Corey, you'll be relieved to know this is our replacement for our technical director," Nick says.

"Oh my god, thank goodness," Corey gasped. "You've just saved my life,"

"I'm glad I can be here, and I can't wait to get started,"

"And a good attitude? Corey, we've scored," Nick said high giving Corey.

"We can show you around right away, give you a tour of things. Then the cast should be here later today,"

"Sounds good to me!" You replied, following Corey who went to go tour you around the theatre.

You got a feel of things and slowly got used to the structure of the place. You met a few more crew members who you'd work closely with throughout the remainder of the shows.

"I really have to thank you again for being here," Corey told you.

"I'm seriously so glad I could help out. I just hope I do a good job," You chuckled lightly.

"I'm sure you'll do great," He nodded assuringly. "You'll sure as hell do better than our last director," he rolled his eyes. You could only laugh nervously.

"Oh, Y/N, our cast is arriving," Nick approached you.

You looked up. Your eyes widened as you looked up at one of the girls who walked in.

"This is-"

"Meredith?" You gasped, covering your mouth. She looked at you for a second, took a second to study your face, before mimicking that same shock.

"Oh my god, Y/N!" She exclaimed, running up to hug.

"It seems you've already met," Nick chuckled.

"Who's this, Mere?" A guy behind Meredith shoved his hands in his pockets, smiling.

"Is it really you?" Meredith asked, studying you once again.

"I guess it is," You laughed.

"This is Y/N," Meredith looked at the guy behind her. "We were best friends in high school. Seriously. Best friends. But we went to different colleges, and completely lost touch," She explained. "How the fuck did you get here in Chicago?" She laughed.