|| Rachael Soglin x Reader ||

"Fucking- Stay still!" Rachael giggled, holding your face with both of her hands.

You couldn't control your laughter, only making her more frustrated. Her forehead crinkled and her brow furrowed.

"Okay okay, fine, I'm still now," You said, biting your lip to control your laughter. "Now work your magic," You said closing you eyes, as you felt the cold eyeliner against your eyelids.

"Alright, I'm done," She said, moving back to see how it looked. "Perfect. You look amazing," Rachael smiled.

"That's all because of you," You gave her a quick hug. "Thanks Rach,"

"Of course! Go get dressed, I can't wait to see you in your costume," Rachael laughed.

"Me too! You've got an incredible costume!" You exclaimed, peering into the dressing room, at her bright blue costume.

"I can't wait. This show is going to be so fun," Rachael bounced up and down like a kid going to Disneyland.

"I'll be right back," You put your hand on her shoulder to help yourself up, causing your stomach to churn. You assumed it was just pre-show nerves, show you shook it off and skipped into the dressing room.

++++++++++++

"I'm so nervous," You said pacing the room, still getting those same nerves as before.

"Me too," Rachael smiled with empathy.

"I think I might be sick," You put your hand on your head, closing your eyes. Rachael's eyes widened with worry.

"Let's go get some air," She put her hand on your back and led you outside into the cool air. It was almost show time, meaning that people were lining up to get their seats, so Rachael tried to avoid the fans as much as possible.

You began breathing heavily, feeling your throat close up as she held both of your hands.

"Hey hey, Y/N look at me," She said softly.

You didn't at first, trying to control your breathing instead, but it wasn't working.

"Y/N," She said again, this time using her hand to raise your chin, forcing you to look into her eyes. "You're going to do amazing. I promise," She assured you.

"Thanks," You squeaked, putting one of your hands on your chest.

"Follow me, okay? Breathe in, and out," She looked at you, trying to guide your breathing. It helped, and soon you were breathing normally.

"Thank you," You exhaled.

"Of course," There was a pause. "Your costume looks cute on you," She grinned.

"I'm obsessed with yours," Another pause. "How are you not freaking out?" You asked her, as she offered you a bottle of water.

"Oh I am. I've just learnt over time how to manage my pre-show stress,"

"And how's that?" You quirked your eyebrow.

"I hang out with you," She smiled weakly. You just looked at each other for a few seconds. You quickly studied her features. Her perfect eyeliner and drawn in eyebrows. The wig that was so long, it sat on her left shoulder, and came down to her waist. Her body was so perfect it was painful to look at because you were so jealous. You could never pull off a costume like hers.

"Really?" You said after a while.

"Yes really. You're my closest friend. I'm so glad we're doing this show together," Rachael nodded. "You're so lucky you get to sing a majority of the opening number. You'll truly kill it. I'm so upset I don't get to do it with you, but I'm sure you'll be amazing. We don't even get that many scenes together overall!" She laughed.

"Yeah, how unfair! We should talk to Brian about that," You laughed, finally feeling better.

"We should get going back inside. Break a leg, I love you!" She rushed inside. You stayed outside, staring at the now-closed door for a bit longer. "I love you" hit differently this time. Those words always seemed normal. And they still were, of course. But for some reason it seemed different. You couldn't tell what it was.

+++++++++++

Everyone walked off the stage together laughing and smiling to each other.

"We did it guys!" Meredith exclaimed, Dylan's arm still around her waist.

"Hell yeah we did!" Jeff cheered.

"I'm so proud of you!" Rachael hugged you, burying her head into your chest. And although you couldn't see it you knew she was crying.

"Why are you crying?" You asked softly.

"Because we did so well! All of our hard work just went out there! I'm so proud of all of us!" Rachael said a bit louder so that everyone could hear. This was followed by a loud roar of applause from the cast.

As the dressing room started to empty out, with people finished changing back into their usual clothes, you still felt that churning feeling at the pit of your stomach. It felt like nerves, but the show was finished.

You looked around the room. The only person left in the dressing room was Jaime, gathering all of her makeup into her bag.

"Hey Y/N," She grinned into the mirror, looking at you through the reflection.

"Hey Jaime. Awesome show today," You nodded.

"Heck yeah it was," She laughed. "Hey, odd question," She turned serious.

"What's up?"

"Are you and Rachael like, a thing?" She asked.

"What? No!" You said quickly. "Why?"

"Do you like her?"

"No! We're best friends," You shook your head.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I knew it was a dumb question. You're just awfully close. I should've just known you guys are only best friends," Jaime blushed.

"Don't worry about it," You laughed, though was staring at something on the wall, deep in thought.

"What are you thinking about?" Jaime asked.

"Oh, nothing. I'll see you tomorrow. You were awesome today," You said quickly, grabbing your bags, and leaving the dressing room.

++++++++++++

That night, you stared straight at the ceiling. Maybe you did like Rachael. But you loved our friendship too much to actually admit it. You looked at the clock. It was just at 11pm.

You picked up your phone. Rachael usually doesn't go to sleep until 2am, anyway, even on show days.

"Hey Rach," You said into the phone.

"What's up, Y/N?" She asked, concerned. "It's 11?"

"Yeah, sorry it's late. Are you in bed?"

"Nope. Eating ice cream on my couch like usual," She laughed.

"Save some for me," You said, hanging up.

10 minutes later, you were at Rachael's door. You took few deep breaths, building up some courage.

She opened it. She was wearing shorts and a hoodie, and since she had just taken a shower, her hair was curly.

You were originally going over to her house to talk to her about your feelings, but you couldn't help it.

You gently grabbed her face and pressed your lips against hers.

It was a loving, tender kiss. She kissed back instantly, which was a big surprise.

You pulled away, and you just grinned at each other.

"I'm glad you called. I was just about to call you," Rachael smiled.

"Great minds think alike, right?" You grinned.

She pulled you inside, wrapping her arms around your neck, as she kissed you again.

Once you pulled away for the second time, you left Jaime a text.

Thank you ~

I had too much fun with this one oops. I love Rachael so much. I want to be her friend so bad hahaha