Chapter Four: Darkness

Start from the beginning

The tribal markings stay true to all three of their faces as well. The darker woman has white paintings gracing her cheeks while the pale woman has pitch black paintings on hers. They each display beauty in their own unique way. The trio analyzes Mileena as they slowly advance forward, and then bow to Shinnok.

"Ah my lovelies, where is that blasted Quan Chi?" he inquires.

Mileena turns her attention from the three women to Shinnok.

"You mean the sorcerer Quan Chi?" she wonders.

"You seem to pick up on things quite quickly. Perhaps you are aware of their identities as well?" he turns to the group of women and Mileena does also.

She analyzes them with amused eyes. If they happen to be any sort of threat, or even if they simply happen to annoy her, she'd waste no time in sinking her teeth into their skin. She licks her lips and then casually smiles. An innocent approach veils all devious thoughts and ideas from the common fool, which to Mileena, these women appear to be.

"I do not, but I take it they must be of your precious group of specters?" Mileena asks calmly.

"Smart seductress," he grins. "This is Sareena, the specter of opportunity. The other two are her underlings, Kia and Jataaka. They are members of the Brotherhood of Shadow, a cult that worships my rule. They not only serve me, but their designated master Quan Chi, whom is my most trusted advisor," he finishes.

"Am I now? An honor it is to be such Lord Shinnok," a voice booms from behind the group of women on the Bridge of Immortality.

A man of pale pigmentation with several sorcery markings that match the markings on his servants' skin approaches. His top is absent allowing his torso markings to be seen. There is an absence of hair from his head also, granting the look of sorcery more fitting, yet the title of being a mortal all too good to be true. Though he has ways of mimicking immortality and has been for many years, he could still easily die like the rest. Mileena knows this, for being the former daughter of the emperor means ignorance of such power is nipped in the bud.

The three women bow before their master as Mileena's devious grin stays present. She can already conclude trusting this one would be a grave mistake, and she also knows that if Shinnok truly trusts him like he leads them all to believe, he is making that grave mistake.

"I see you are showing the newest recruit her...allies," the sorcerer says.

"Ally is an overstatement," Mileena counters.

This brings another sly smile to Shinnok's face, and even a grin to Quan Chi's. However, the trio somewhat faces her in shock. Should they have taken that tone and gave that response to Quan Chi they would have had their human-like appearances taken away for quite some time. Unlike Mileena, their beauty is only a magical guise, which Quan Chi constructed on purpose to have control over them.

"She has her points doesn't she? Perhaps she should be my most trusted advisor..." Shinnok deviously considers while placing a hand on her shoulder. "I shall see to it some souls are ready for you Quan Chi, I sense the level of your sorcery is slightly draining.

"Many thanks Lord Shinnok," he replies.

"Carry on with your duties, she has plenty of specters to meet," he announces just before vanishing again with Mileena.

They reappear hovering above a field of red, mostly concealed by a thick red mist. Shouts and cries are heard as decapitation and dismembering are seen. This excites Mileena, for the warriors do not take notice of their presence so far above them. Shinnok's sorcery keeps them both afloat with hardly any effort. Her eyes widen as she peers downward.