It was 1.41 pm. Wang He Di sat down at a corner on the floor, adjacent to the door. There were computers lined up, with racks, a large screen TV and a small discussion area with large colorful bean bags. His gaze rested on a black mop of hair on one of the beanie. He jumped up.

"Who's there?!! Show yourself!" His hand reached out to the steel ruler in his bag. If this ghost flew at him, he hoped he would slash it to death. Of course his logic told him this was silly but he stood his ground, his legs in a wide stance, ready to fight for his life.

"Are you afraid of the ghost? Or your fangirls?" A female voice sounded, her finger pointing to the door. A few faces were peering inside the room, through the transparent glass.

Wang He Di quickly snooped down. "Don't tell them I'm here, please!"

She let out a laugh. "Why must I help you, Wang He Di?"

She knew his name. But then, all the girls do. "Please, I can do whatever you like. Just help me please."

"Very well. Since I'm a nice person."

When she stood up, Wang He Di saw a little girl. With short boyish hair, huge eyes, cheeky smile and a gleaming stare. She looked like she was not more than 15 years old.

What she did next shocked him. She waved her arms wildly, stuck out her tongue at them and showed them her middle finger! The next thing he knew, he heard the girls scoffed and trotted away from the room.

The little girl laughed again. "Damn, I should have pretended to be a ghost. Why didn't I grow my hair long?"

She glanced down at Wang He Di and smiled. "I help you. Are you going to help me?"

It was 1.50pm. He glanced at his watch uneasily. She noticed. "Did you really think this door opens at 2pm sharp?" Suddenly, she came down on the floor and huddled next to him and whispered. "Why don't we wait for it to happen?"

"No! Are you crazy?" He whispered back, not knowing why he was not talking in a normal tone.

"Come on, the most popular boy in school is scared of ghost?"

"I am not! It's almost time for our next period. We should get going."

She rolled her eyes. "What a lame excuse. You are just scared shit. I can see it in between your braces, you are drooling scared."

"I have never met a girl who talks like you! Are you a gangster or something?" He moved away an inch from her but she gripped his arm and kept it firmly next to her body.

"Just once, Wang He Di. No one else will do it with me. Not even Xiao Gao."

"Xiao Gao? The big boss in our school.? Wait, are you with him? What are you doing in here, erm..."

"Shen Yue. Call me Yue or Xiao Shen. I don't mind you calling me anything." She winked at him. "Shall I call you Xiao Wang? Or Xiao Shuai? Damn, what they said about your eyes is true!" She exclaimed, leaning towards him and staring into his gaze.

Wang He Di flinched. Her big piercing brown eyes was captivating. They spoke a thousand emotions. And right now he could read that she was excited.

He cleared his throat. "I asked what are you doing in here."

She shrugged, her hands still around his arms. "Hiding. Like you. Big boss wanted to teach Luo laoshi a lesson but I refused. I can't create troubles anymore. Nai Nai will kill me."

She got his attention now. All of a sudden, his memory jolted. He heard of a new transfer, a notorious troublemaker who got kicked out of her old school and this was her last chance.

"You can't hide from them forever. Just tell them you won't do it anymore."

"I did. But old habits die hard. They saw me putting the air out of his car tires last week." She turned and put a finger on his mouth. "Please don't tell anyone! He was so mean to me. Just because I fell asleep in class, he punished me and embarrassed me in front of the class. I told him I was working very late the day before. But he did not believe me. He said I was a liar."

It was 1.58pm. WHD scratched his head. "None is my business. Now, Xiao Shen, if you let me, I have to go." He pried her hands away and stood up.

"Fangirl!" She shouted, suddenly.

"Where?" He stooped back down, realizing she was only joking. "Very funny, Xiao Shen."

"Just Yue. Xiao Shen is like sooooo long. Why are you so scared of girls? They are just girls. Besides if you don't like the chocolates you can always give them to me. I'm always hungry."

He scanned her body in the semi-dark room. "You must have worms in your body."

"Eh, just because my breasts are not fully developed yet doesn't mean I have indigestion," she responded indignantly, puffing out her chest.

He gasped "What has that gotta do with your, your..middle?"

"You have problem saying the word "breast"? She chuckled. "What about chicken breast? Duck breast? When you order food. Lamb breast? Oh wait, I don't think that is right. Does a lamb have a breast? Gosh, I'm confused."

"Shen Yue! I gotta go! We will be late for clsss."

She grinned suddenly. This little girl had one of the best grins he had ever seen. "Wang He Di, check the time."

It was 2.03pm. And the door never opened. She stood up and brushed her pants. "Now, let me show you who the ghost is." She turned the door knob and let herself out. "I'm not done with you, Xiao Wang. You still owe me one." She clicked her tongue against the roof her mouth and winked at the boy. "By the way, I think you are cute."

Wang He Di's face blushed tomato red. If only he could take compliments from girls better. He touched the nape of his neck and stood up, shaking his head, wondering.

Who is this Shen Yue?

—————

Author's notes:

Welcome to my chapter 1 of Heart & Soul! Heart & Soul is a spin-off from Memory of the Heart, in an alternate/ parallel universe that takes place 9 years earlier. What do you think? I will be writing this fluffy fic while waiting to get back into Memory Of the Heart. Happy reading and remember to leave comments!

 Happy reading and remember to leave comments!

💜💛 Hsien
17.4.2020