back on track // 29

Start from the beginning

"You're like a kid at Disneyworld" Darcey chuckled, mirroring Sebastian bright smile.

"This is my Disneyworld" Sebastian expressed, gesturing to the place around them as they continued their way around the small track. Funnily enough, it seemed a lot bigger when he was four. 

"Have you always wanted to be a racing driver?" Darcey asked, recalling that he had asked so much about her but she had barely asked about him. 

"No" Sebastian replied "Before I wanted to be the car, you know like Lightning Mcqueen" He finished laughing away at his own joke, which caused Darcey to laugh herself. This man was like no other that was for sure. 

"You sure it wasn't to be like Michael Jackson" Darcey smirked, remembering her conversation for earlier with his mother. Seb's face fell as he realised the culprit behind that comment. 

"She got to you didn't she?" He froze as Darcey struggled to contain her laughter, if it wasn't for the street lights she might have not noticed the slight flushed expression on his face afterwards. "In my defence I didn't know what it meant back then"

"Oh so then you decided to become a racing driver, or car instead?" Darcey chirped in, giving him a mock tone as to wind him up.

"Exactly, figured I was better at it anyway" Sebastian exclaimed, giving her a seductive smile while they continued to walk to the other side of the track coming to the inner circle. 

"Cocky much?" 

"Tell that to my world titles" 

"And you wonder why people hate you?" Darcey joked but instantly regretted it, putting her hand over her mouth as to stop herself but it was too late. "I'm so sorry, I wasn't think-"

"It's fine, it's a price I'm willing to pay" Sebastian noted, "Nobody likes the guy who's winning all the time, besides I've never taken much notice of it" 

"That's not true, what about in Spain last year and Silvertone" Darcey argued, trying to get the driver to be honest with her.

"It's not so much the fans reaction as to how I feel about myself, both times I failed to get a result for the team and that's what counts. I'm here because I love to race and ultimately win" Sebastian explained "I didn't start racing to be liked or adored, I did it because it's what I love and having fans boo me isn't going to stop me doing that" 

"I guess I didn't think about it like that, I just automatically assumed with being in the public eye and everything" Darcey explained, trying to make sense of it all.

"It's my job, that's all. I don't like to think about it like that 'this public eye' nonsense. I'm just a normal guy who happens to speak to a camera sometimes about tyres and speed" Sebastian laughed slightly at his wording "And even then it's Sebastian Vettel the F1 driver, they don't need to know the real me" 

"So who is this in front of me then, Sebastian Vettel the F1 driver or Sebastian Vettel the real me?" Darcey questioned stepping closer to the blonde German. 

"The real me, I've always been real with you Darc. From the moment I met you, I don't know there was just something about you which just made me feel like I could be myself around you" They stopped walking as they came to the finish line, Seb reached out and began to play with her fingers and they stood still.

"It's so weird thinking back to when I first met you and that moment I had no idea you would have such a big impact on me" Darcey sighed, staring into his deep blue eyes.

"I mean you did have a literal impact on me" Seb chuckled grinning across at the mechanic. 

"Will you ever let that go?" Darcey expressed, rolling her eyes at the funny german man.