chase

A/N okay umm, i don't really know what to say other than TYSM! i'm glad you  guys are enjoying the story. This hit over 1k reads as of now and is #2 in madwheeler i literally,,, omg. thank you.

they arrived together, somehow fitting into wheelers car. some would call him lucky, but others would feel sorry for him; it was left in his moms will for mike.

max unfortunately didn't know when she commented on how he is rich and pampered- a glare from the tall lanky boy and a punch on her arm from dustin made her shut up and assume what happened. getting there was surely an awkward trip, but the heavy air quickly left them as they entered the cheery home of their friend. 

this was somewhere completely different for max. she had only visited his house once, since mike usually hosted their hangouts, how ever it was nothing like she remembered. it took her a moment to realize it, until she finally understood why- this wasn't the same house. it was steve harringtons. the host escorted them down a long modern hallway, and she stared at some paintings, paying no attention to mike being right in front of her and simultaneously bumped into his back. startled, she began to apologize. he just looked behind and quickly smiled.

once they reached the other side of the house where dustin's room was, they all sat down around the rectangle enclosure as he got out the d&d. a wave of nostalgia hit her in the face, making her breath weirdly hitch. she smiled remembering all the moments they had together.

"so max, how has life been treating you?" lucas genuinely asked.

refocusing her attention to present time, she whips her head towards him and smiles, "i've been okay, actually".

"i'd assume being popular and the whole schools favourite would make anyone happier," he replied, making will and mike chuckle.

"actually, i-" she tried to defend herself and how attention doesn't solve your problems, but dustin interrupted by declaring the game ready.

they all settled on the bed in a circle, except mike, she couldn't help but glance over at him sitting on a chair in the far corner. he looked down. she felt guilty thinking maybe what she said had hurt him, but pushed it off to the side and played. it wasn't that weird to sit out on a game.

well, a game. not every single time they played, whether it was at will's, or lucas', or even his own. he would never play anymore, he would watch tv or read a book and no one seemed to pay attention to it. max had grown quite close to the group again at this point, unfortunately making her popularity shrink a bit, but especially with dustin, and the least to mike. one night she finally decided to ask between some activities in the basement about it.

"hey, dustin," she quietly called after the boy grabbing a snack. he turned around and she swiftly pulled him to the side to ask, "what happened to mike? he used to be the most invested and now he doesn't have the slightest interest."

dustin studied the boy sitting once again in a corner and shrugged, "we don't really ask too much about it. he has gotten kind of mad and annoyed. he doesn't like to see we only ask because we care." she slowly nodded and they continued back to what they were doing.

but she still was curious.