prologue

He grinned at max, admiring all her beauty, then kissed her quick as he had to get home. She laughed at his actions, and replied to his wave with, "I'll see you tomorrow, Lucas!" She smiled as he waved a second time as he rode down the street on his bicycle. She closed the door, happy no one was home. She walked over to her small kitchen and made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and sat down to watch the local stations, though she didn't know what shows she was even watching.
As an hour or two went by, she came to realization that the dinner party her mom and step-dad, as well as billy, were at would be ending soon and she should clean up and go straight to bed with no sign of her or, especially, a sign of Lucas.
She heard a honk which startled her as she got tucked in, and quickly turned off her lamp hoping they didn't see from the front window. She passed out from pure fear, hoping her brother or step-dad didn't come up to give her a hard time.
The next day, she tried to meet in the usual spot her and her party would go the first week of highschool. She hadn't met any new people, solely relying on the party to keep her company. Of course, with Mike Wheelers stupid rules against Max, like "guy talk", which in her best interest, wouldn't be the best thing for her, and "no dating party members", just to name a couple, it sometimes became hell. She of course hated mike for many things, but this always set her off, and he only made this rule because he was pissed off about el not coming to the school. he was like a mother, but at least he acted like he somewhat gave a shit about her, Unlike her very own. He finally accepted her into the party, and without it, she would be completely outcasted. Sometimes, she wanted to punch Wheeler right in the face (or other places), he had no idea what she'd been going through.
She spotted Dustin in the hallway, and when going to approach him, he panicked and forgot to even lock his locker before running off. "Dustin!" She rolled her eyes and tried to ignore the few glares resting on her. She opened Dustin's locker to quickly creep around, looking for any clues to his behaviour.
She unfortunately found nothing, except an envelope from Will. She decided to take it out and hope no one was watching as she shoved it into her bag.