Epilogue

The six friends finished high school in what felt like the blink of an eye. Mr. Matthews wasn't kidding when he said it goes by fast. Farkle and Melissa headed off for the University of California Berkley. Farkle would be studying Physics and Melissa would be studying Education with a minor in Business Education. Riley, Lucas, Zay, and Maya were staying in New York to study at NYU. 

College was great everyone stayed in contact and Farkle and Melissa came to New York to visit as often as they could.  On graduation day Farkle asked Melissa to marry him and she said yes. Farkle got a job back in New York and Melissa started teaching at Abigal Adams High School where Mr. Matthews was now the principle. Melissa and Farkle were blessed with twin boys who they named Albert and Joseph.  Their lives were happy and good.  Maya and Josh saw the long game through and got married. Riley and Lucas were also married and Zay met a girl named Hannah in Texas and was happily married. 

15 years ago today they learned about Belgium 1831 so Melissa had something special planned for them, she even asked Zay to make the trip up from Texas. 

Melissa sat at her desk as her class of seniors came into her room. 

"What's with the chairs at the front of the room Mrs. Minkus?" her student Ava asked. 

"I have some friends coming today to help with my lesson," she told her. 

"You need friends to teach us about Belgium 1831?" Johannah asked. 

The sound of a knock came into the room and Melissa ran to answer it. She was greeted with the faces of her 5 favorite people. 

"Come on in," Melissa said as Farkle, Riley, Maya, Lucas, and Zay came inside and sat down in the chairs she had for them. Then Mr. Matthews came inside her room as well. 

"Now we can start. Belgium 1831 anyone know what happened?" Melissa asked her students who shook their heads, "That's what I thought, and that is why my friends are here. Farkle, care to tell these guys what happened to Belgium in 1831?" 

"They left from the United Nation of the Netherlands to be their own independent country," Farkle said smiling at his wife. 

"That's right. Your guys, my students, are Seniors you're leaving the comforts of high school and branching off," Melissa said and Ava raised her hand. Melissa called on her.

"What happens to friends in college? When we leave high school do we all still get to be together?" Ava asked looking at her best friend Johannah and the other people around her. 

"Maya, what happened to the United Nation of the Netherlands when Belgium left?" Melissa asked her friend.

"They fell apart," Maya said. 

"I don't want us to fall apart," Johannah said grabbing Ava's hand. 

"We won't. Right, Mrs. Minkus? All your lessons have happy endings," Ava said. 

"Class these people right here are my best friends in the whole world. We met in high school and one of us almost had to go away before we were ready. But she got to stay. My husband, Farkle, said something that day that I want you all to remember. There comes a time in life when you have to leave your friends and face the world alone. You all are Seniors and that day is coming up faster then you think. My husband and I went to California we got a taste of the world alone but these people, my friends, my family, were always there when I needed them. So to answer your question Ava, no you don't have to fall apart you can still have these friends that you have right now and I hope you do. But I want you to take this lesson with you wherever you go. Go take on the world for yourself then come back to the people who made you strong enough to face it," Melissa said and then the bell rang and her student filled out. 

"Belgium 1831 huh," Zay said. 

"Yeah, I thought we all could use a refresher," Melissa said.

"It was wonderful, Lissa," Riley said hugging her sister-in-law. 

"It really was," Mr. Matthew's said from his spot in the back of the classroom. 

Melissa took Farkle's hand and led him to there old high school desk. Everyone else followed suit as Mr. Matthews made his way to the front of the room. 

"Got anything left to teach us, Sir?" Lucas asked him. 

"No I don't think I do," Mr. Matthews said. 

"How about some words of wisdom then? Some to take for the road," Zay said. 

"You all turned out to be really amazing people. I am so proud of you. I think what Mrs. Minkus said was good, always remember the people who made you brave enough to take on the world because we are always here for you. I love you all, class dismissed," Mr. Matthews said. 

The End

And thank you for reading Girl Needs Hope by petlover234