Chapter 3

Papi Jo and Melissa watched as her mom, dad, and brother were getting all the bags ready for security.

"Sugar, don't worry. You'll be just fine without Lucas. There's no one better than your Papi Jo to protect you," he said and gave his granddaughter a side hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks. But it's not me I'm worried about being alone. I've always been the one to calm him down and keep him from going into his horse mode; or whatever, I'm just worried for him," she said.

He squeezed his granddaughter a little tighter to reassure her. Lucas looked back at them before he went through the security line. Melissa waved goodbye and he did the same.

"Let's go home," Melissa said.

Papi nodded and the two went to his truck.

~~~~~
At school the next day everyone was staring at her and whispered as she walked by. When Melissa got to her locker Zay and Stephanie were there waiting for her. She smiled at them as a thank you and they walked her to her classes throughout the day. All in all it was an ok day. It was last period and Zay was at Melissa's locker with her. They were talking when her locker slammed on her hand.

"Hey! Watch where you're going, please," she said earnestly. Her hand throbbed as it began to bruise over.

"Sorry I can't. I guess I'm just a monster like someone else you know. Right Melissa?" Damian's voice boomed in her ears.

"Watch your words, Damian," Zay said.

"Ya and what are you gonna do about it. Your little monster friend isn't here now. I think you're the one who needs to watch out," he said.

"Don't you call my brother a monster one more time," Melissa said slowly losing her cool.

"Oh I'm so sorry don't go all monster on me like your brother," he said putting his hands up and walking away laughing.

~~~~~~~~~~

"You can't listen to them Melissa. There just a bunch of bullies. They do it in purpose," Lucas said from the other line of the phone.

He had called her on her way home from school, well actually he called after his school was over and Melissa had to have him call her later. (New York is and hour ahead of Texas)

"I wouldn't care as much if they were making fun of me. But they're making fun of you," she said.

"Just let it go," he laughed, which made her smile.

"I miss you Lucas."

"I miss you too. But don't worry, I've met some great people that I think will be really good friends for me."

"I'm proud of you Lucas."

"That's the best thing you could say to me right now. You're the best little sister ever."

"And you're the best big brother ever."

"I've got to do homework. Love you," he said.

"Love you too," she replied and he hung up.